First build (Neck question)

chabrannan

New member
Messages
5
Hello everyone.
I ordered my hardtail strat body a couple of weeks ago.

Looking to order my neck soon

Was wondering if warmoth drills small alignment holes next to the fender tuner holes?

excited to get started

Thanks

chad
 

Killswitch95

Active member
Messages
40
If you're referring to the screw holes, or the tiny holes for two pronged fender tuners... No...

The holes Warmoth does NOT drill are the following:

- Tuner mounting hardware holes (Holes for your screws on your tuners, the alignment pegs, etc)
- Holes in the headstock for string trees
- Holes in the body for output jack plate mounts
- Holes in the body for pickup mounts outside of general routing
- Holes in the body for pickguard screws
- Holes in the body for strap button/strap locks.

The only holes Warmoth drills are:

- Basic holes in the headstock for fitting your tuner peg through.
- Four holes in the neck for mounting to a body (Optional to exclude this)
- Four holes in the body for mounting a neck
- Three holes in the body for mounting a neck (Optional)
- If you have a tremolo rout then two holes in the back of the tremolo cavity for screwing in the tremolo spring claw as this is generally a universal piece.

* This is not something you can call them personally and ask them to do anyway, I tried that already*

Found this out on my own build... You can go through the effort to drill the holes yourself, although if you lack the tools for doing such a thing like myself you may be able to find a guitar luthier around to drill these out for you. A local music shop around me has a guitar tech on staff who has been a wonderful help in this regard.

My tech suggested rather than measuring the screw/peg dimensions and bringing the measurements to him, to just bring the hardware itself for him to measure and make sure it fits...

Little bit of a trail off, but I thought it may be useful if you were like me sort of counting on them to drill these holes for you.
 

chabrannan

New member
Messages
5
That answers my question. Thanks for the quick reply.

I can do the install. I put fender tuners on a squire.
was a real pain in the ass though lol

thanks for all the info :eek:ccasion14:
 

Killswitch95

Active member
Messages
40
chadbrannan said:
That answers my question. Thanks for the quick reply.

I can do the install. I put fender tuners on a squire.
was a real pain in the ass though lol

thanks for all the info :eek:ccasion14:

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, bought fender locking tuners for my squire but they don't fit, turns out they are not compatible and I lack the tools to enlarge the holes so I'm going with hipshots...
 

stratamania

Senior member
Messages
9,229
chadbrannan said:
found this good video
https://youtu.be/DGKIpxsKA-c

Or there is a jig for the job.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-tuner-installation/tuner-pin-drill-jig
 

chabrannan

New member
Messages
5
stratamania said:
chadbrannan said:
found this good video
https://youtu.be/DGKIpxsKA-c

Or there is a jig for the job.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-tuner-installation/tuner-pin-drill-jig

I figured there was a tool for the job, but $62 is a little expensive
 

stratamania

Senior member
Messages
9,229
chadbrannan said:
stratamania said:
chadbrannan said:
found this good video
https://youtu.be/DGKIpxsKA-c

Or there is a jig for the job.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-tuner-installation/tuner-pin-drill-jig

I figured there was a tool for the job, but $62 is a little expensive

That depends on how many times you plan to do the job...

 

NedRyerson

Senior member
Messages
416
Killswitch95 said:
Maaaaaaaaaaaan, bought fender locking tuners for my squire but they don't fit, turns out they are not compatible and I lack the tools to enlarge the holes so I'm going with hipshots...

A reamer, such as this one.

 
Top