First Build! Jazz Bass Jotoba on ash body + all Birds eye neck

Gabrodz

Hi all!
This is my first post. Don't know why I didn't sign up earlier...
So, about 8 years ago I bought this Warmoth body of the showcase and put a Fender mex fretless neck on it. Got tired of that so... bought an awesome maple neck from the showcase as well just last month and now I'm in the process of lacquering both. (originally did the body with tung oil)
It will have Bartolini J1, switching to all black hardware; vintage Schaller tuners & and a Gotoh 201 bridge. Maybe,  just maybe, I'll throw in a Sadowsky preamp.

I'm somewhat of an beginner when it comes to wood finishing, etc. Never worked with lacquer... I purchased a local product (from Spain) and I'm actually wiping it on the "vintage" way(or whatever it's called). I'm still having second thoughts about not spraying it on. See the results for your self. I've done like 7 or 8 coats on the body and sanding in between hoping to fill up the grain and try to get the mirror finish afterwards.

Pics below. What do you think!? :)
Looking forward to your feedback!!!  :toothy12:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-05-16 at 11.31.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-05-16 at 11.31.56 AM.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2806.JPG
    IMG_2806.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3102.JPG
    IMG_3102.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Welcome, what is the body made out of ? Looks like the finish is sinking into the grain a little.

Thanks! It's swamp ash and the top is Jatoba or Brazilian cherry (I think it's called).
I'm a bit puzzled by it. Only gave it 1 coat of grain sealer. Maybe I should have given it a few more. The swamp ash back is behaving more uniformly.

I just read up on Jatoba, it is indeed known as Brazilian Cherry, but it isn't actually a cherry wood, the name seems to come from its colouring.

I didn't see anything about it being difficult to finish, so the only way is forward with more coats till it levels I think.

You're right. Did some research back then but completely forgot... And now I'm here asking myself stuff I should have answered before even sanding the thing :/ (duh!)

I bet you know this page: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/jatoba/

Says regarding Grain/Endgrain: ...is typically interlocked, with a medium to coarse texture. Good natural luster. / Diffuse-porous; large pores, very few; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; mineral deposits (dark brown) occasionally present; parenchyma vasicentric, aliform (lozenge or winged), confluent, and marginal; narrow to medium rays, normal spacing.

BTW, forgot to mention that I stained the entire thing black and sanded it down to give some contrast to the grain. That explains the dark edge. Left their on purpose.

Gabrodz said:
I'm a bit puzzled by it. Only gave it 1 coat of grain sealer. Maybe I should have given it a few more. The swamp ash back is behaving more uniformly.

Some woods are that way. Mahogany is notorious for it, and often Swamp Ash is as well. Depending on the filler, I've gone as many as 3 coats before heading into sanding sealer to get the surface level. But, lacquer has a tendency to shrink so it's important that the surface it's applied to be very nearly perfect to start with.

Some woods are that way. Mahogany is notorious for it, and often Swamp Ash is as well. Depending on the filler, I've gone as many as 3 coats before heading into sanding sealer to get the surface level. But, lacquer has a tendency to shrink so it's important that the surface it's applied to be very nearly perfect to start with.
[/quote]

Hmm... So i'm wondering if I should go back to square one and apply more grain filler. The can says it's nitro based. You think it'll look bad if i apply some over the lacquer and then lacquer some more over it? Maybe I should open a thread over in the finishing section.  :laughing7:

Thanks guys!

Lacquer is very easy to strip - all you need is acetone (lacquer thinner). So, getting back to square one isn't the nightmare it can be with other materials. If you've been working with that all along, you may be able to just continue on without issue as long as you don't need a color or clarity change.

Wiping on isn't really an option with lacquer, though. It dries far too fast and goes on too thin. You really need to spray it. The method it sounds like you're trying to do is what's known as a "french polish", which is typically done with shellac.

For a lacquer finish, a good base is critical. You may want to read through this tutorial to see if you want to go through the trouble. It's worth it, if you want a professional finish, but it's not a trivial task. Gonna take a while.

Note that the tutorial is going to mention specific products by brand name, but the process is the same regardless of whose product you use. The thing to pay attention to is the type of product, as well as when/how to use it.

Hi guys,
Finally finished the build. Took me a while but... Its done. Ended up buying a spray gun... 😅 turned out very nice! Created custom brand and logo with help of a friend.
Plays, sounds and feels great! Weighs a ton though.
Thanks for your feedback!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 10
LOVE the natural top with dyed back.  Reverse of what you'd commonly expect. I'm working on a similar theme and this makes me believe it will turn out great. Awesome job!

Thanks guys!!

At first, I also didn't like the stain. It was way to solid so I sanded very lightly until it toned  down. I was looking to get a worn look anyways so...  :icon_thumright:

I'm thinking of selling it to make another but maybe i'll fiddle with it for a while :)

Back