Finishing Warmoth Neck Questions

jenso413

Hi, I just purchased an unfinished Warmoth neck and I have a few questions. Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find much about it.

1. Since the neck is unfinished, should I still sand it before applying the finish? I'm doing the usual Tru-Oil finish.

2. Should I apply my decal before or after finishing?

3. Is it OK to finish the headstock too? Most videos I've seen don't do the headstock but I'd like to bring out a bit of color in it.

Thanks!

Yes it is maple, with a rosewood fingerboard. Not sure how to post pictures on here, I'm not the best with this kind of stuff.

Right, I'm going to finish it for sure (I already got the supplies). I'm just wondering about the questions I posted above. Mainly if I need to sand the neck before applying the finish.

1. You probably do not need to sand the neck as it is already sanded.
2. Decals after some finishing - but some are not compatible with Tru Oil - apply decal and then build up finish over it.
3. Of course the headstock would be finished. (not sure which videos you have been watching)

I like Tru-Oil on necks, however they may or may not qualify as a hard finish for warranty purposes with Warmoth.

Back