Finishing Swamp Ash Cabronita

colaiza65

Hello everyone,
Just purchased a Cabronita (swamp ash). On my other DIY guitars I have finished with rattle can poly, Tru oil, & can Acryllic. They have come out pretty nice, although I am not an expert and I am not looking for perfection. This time I'd like something a little more glossy. I don't have any spray guns. So could someone kindly tell me if the following plan is doable? I only have a window of a couple of weeks to finish this puppy when it arrives.
1. Sand bare wood to 320, then 600, then 800. Clean with denatured alcohol each time. (Warmoth should need a lot of sanding right? At least that has been my experience).
2. Apply a dark Color Tone grain filler to enhance the grain. Let dry. Sand again with 320, 600, 800. Clean with denatured alcohol after each sanding.
3. Apply transtint yellow dye (stewmac bottle) diluted in denatured alcohol. Let dry. Maybe repeat depending on color.
4. Spray Stewmac (clear) lacquer in can. The recommended qty is about 2-3 cans in very light coats. (is steel wool necessary between coats?) Let last coat dry for a couple of days.
5. Apply Stewmac a coat of polishing (med) with a drill gun foam pad. Wipe off. Repeat. Apply more polish (fine) with the different foam pad on the drill. Wipe off.
Will all of this produce a decent glossy finish (Yellow with dark/black grains). Again, I only have about 10 days or so to finish because I have to travel. I really appreciate any feedback or suggestions. thank you,
Colaiza65

You need a grain filler for swamp ash. Also, you're not going to get that done in 10 days. You need a minimum of 2 weeks after you're done with clear coats before you can start finish sanding/buffing. You're not gonna be ready for clear coats for probably 3-4 days from start. And that's all pushing it.

WTH do you mean, Warmoth should need lots of sanding? The wood won't need ANY sanding because Warmoth already did it. Finish sanding - YES.

ALSO - no steel wool!!!!!!!!! That crap is of the devil. Use fine sandpaper or fine grit Scotchbrite.

Oh, yeah...

Zuul.jpg

No steel wool, or I kill you, ok?

Aircap, sorry meant to say Warmoth usually does NOT need sanding. My bad. Interesting how steel wool is the devil to some. :evil4:

colaiza65 said:
Aircap, sorry meant to say Warmoth usually does NOT need sanding. My bad. Interesting how steel wool is the devil to some. :evil4:
Because the little strands can get in the pickups and render them useless. Because the pickups are magnetic they will draw these little strands to them. If you do any steel wool action near the pickup opening there will be a few of these fibers loose there.

Not to mention it gets into everything else and is difficult to clean up, is prone to stab its way into grain and show up in the subsequent finish work, can get into your skin like fiberglass, on and on. It's good for ebonizing wood, but as an abrasive there are far too many better products available now to tolerate its drawbacks.

As an aside, in leather working, we call that ebonizing process 'vinegaroon' or 'vinegar black'. On oak tanned leather, it produces the richest black and doesn't rub off. I've used that on wood, too and it is a nice way to darken it. Here's a before and after photo of a leather knife I made and did the handle with it. I also did the sheath, for that matter. I may have to try that with a guitar one of these days.

Attachments

• Round Knife B Sm.JPG
    Round Knife B Sm.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 331
  • round knife 03b sm.jpg
    round knife 03b sm.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 333
I haven't tried it yet, but the fact that it gets right into the pores and grain makes it attractive. Probably won't show wear, since the beauty is more than skin deep. Plus, I'll bet it doens't take fingerprints and smudges the way a hard finish does.

It acts on the tannins in the wood. Try a sample and if it doesn't take well enough, give it a good coat of strong tea to put tannic acid into the wood first. Then it will work better. Some of the leather workers soak their leather in tea before applying it if the leather may not have enough naturally.

Zhaezzy said:
colaiza65 said:
Because the little strands can get in the pickups and render them useless. Because the pickups are magnetic they will draw these little strands to them. If you do any steel wool action near the pickup opening there will be a few of these fibers loose there.
Understood, but I haven't connected anything yet and I will clean with denatured alcohol and a good air spray.

Attachments

• 2017-04-11 20.46.08.jpg
    2017-04-11 20.46.08.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 340
Back