Finishing a Mahogany Body

sbk12

Fellow Warmothers,I was looking for some help with an unfinished Mahogany strat body that I recently ordered.I want to have a semi-dark finish  to contrast with the birsdeye maple neck that I am getting.What are the steps and products that I need do and use to achieve a finish such as the one below.This is what I am going for.Any help would be greatly appreciated.This will be my first time.

Sandimascharvel-1.jpg

Looks great.  I don't do any finishing, so you might want to wait for one of the finishing gurus to happen across your post.  They'll respond, just give it some time.

The picture you posted from the Charvel website is actually a Koa, rather than a mahogany body if you read the fine print...

If you want to do a body similar to some of the mahogany ones on that site, here's a good Showcase choice with nice graining:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=S2274&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&bodyWood_filter=10&controlRout_filter=2

There are are some solid Koa unfinished bodies that are quite expensive, there's a nice Koa on Mahogany in Clear Gloss at a good price on the Showcase:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=S2274&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&bodyWood_filter=10&controlRout_filter=2

If you want to get something the  mahogany body above a do your own "natural" oil finish, you could just leave it unfilled and hand rub 25-30 coats of WATCO Danish Oil for th finish, it available most everywhere. You could do the same finish on a custom ordered Koa or Koa laminate/mahogany body.

Yeah I knew it was KOA,just was trying to show a picture of what I am going for as far as the whole vibe of the guitar.The body is already ordered,so there is not an option of buying a showcase body.I really want the sound of the mahogany body with the Rio Grande BBQ pickups.Anyway,I am basically just trying to get a little darker finish on the body that will hold up well and not be real shiny.

Mahogany comes in a rather wide range of color; you may need to wait and post some pics when you get the body. The Watco Danish oil comes in a variety of tints as well as natural, check link below. If you don't see the hue you want you could always apply an oil based stain then the natural Watco on top of that.

Thanks bro,I really appreciate the info.So,you dont think it will need the grain filler?Also,I am not seeing the link that you were talking about.I will definately post some pics when the stuff comes in.The neck is already going to have a satin finish on it,so I am hoping I wont have to mess with it.I have experience with wood and staining,but this is something I really dont want to mess up.My thoughts about the body were,that I could sand a little and patiently add stain a coat at a time and be patient.But really in all reality,I dont have a clue...lol..

Oops... Here's the link:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=46

If you look at the pics below, you can see the wide disparity of mahogany coloration; both neck and body are mahogany. It's a hollow Strat body with an Indian Rosewood laminate top and fretboard, and I wanted to maintain a completely natural, unfinished look to the wood. (Here's a lonk to the Gallery post: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=272.0 ) I did a real light coat of Minwax Red Mahogany oil based stain and then 25-30 coats of natural (untinted) WATCO Danish Oil.

There's no law/rule that says you have to fill the grain; you need to if you're doing a gloss top coat and want a smooth finish, but if you're aiming for the "natural oil finish" a la the Charvel models you posted, it's unnecessary and won't hurt anything to leave the grain pores be. Filling mahogany is a real pain in the ass, as it's difficult to get the filler to "stick" in the tiny grain pores and stay there as you sand/level it back out.

watco1.jpg

watco2.jpg

What exactly does the WATCO Danish oil do for the finish? I apoligize for the 1,000 questions.

Sorry man,just got back into the office and yes,I guess I was being lazy.Nice guitar by the way.Will check it out now..

Ok,that stuff sounds right on man....I think I will go that route and not fill the grain.But I did notice that you stated that you use "untinted" Danish oil and I didnt see that in the selection..Am I blind?

I got a call from Warmoth yesterday and was told that my body was finished(good news),but they had accidently base coated the body.I was given two options,to either take it with the base coat thrown in for free or have another one built.I asked the guy to send me some pics of the body.I received them yesterday evening and was actually quite pleased with the body.The gentlemen emailed me back and said that Warmoth was going to offer me a satin or gloss finish free of charge because of their mistake.I chose satin.My intentions from the get go was to go with a natural type mahogany look.Anyway,here are some pics of the body with the base coat.Opinions????Do you guys think that is a fair deal?

strat2.jpg

strat3.jpg

strat1.jpg

"Do you guys think that is a fair deal?"

Well, DUH? That's a horrible deal; insist that they send you an unfinished body.

Well,being that it is not what I wanted.Yes,I understand they are trying to justify the mistake,but until I actually get the body and see if its exactly what I want,then you cant just say that its a no brainer.The reason I ordered from Warmoth was to get exactly what I want.Period...

DangerousR6 said:
I'd say take the offer of a satin finish and run with it........ :toothy12:

Yeah I am.The guy was really nice to me and even if I dont like it,I have 10 days to return it.Now I am started to get excited,he said my neck was done too and they will be shipping out my body,neck,and pickups next week.WOOHOO! :headbang1:

sbk12 said:
DangerousR6 said:
I'd say take the offer of a satin finish and run with it........ :toothy12:

Yeah I am.The guy was really nice to me and even if I dont like it,I have 10 days to return it.Now I am started to get excited,he said my neck was done to and they will be shipping out my body,neck,and pickups next week.WOOHOO! :headbang1:
:headbang:

Back