Finished In Stock Guitar Bodies and Pickup Routing Question

Indyplumber

If you order an in stock body that is already painted and ask for wood mount pickup routing, do they paint the cavity or leave it bare wood?

At one point they offered black dye for pickup routs, but I don't believe they do anymore.  I believe you're on your own.  Anyone care to correct me?  I'm not certain.

Bagman

It will be left bare wood, they don't repaint them. You might be able to asked to have them repaint it, but I'm sure it will be an extra charge..

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder what folks have done when they've purchased a finished body with wood mount pickup routing. 

A black felt marker has been suggested to me.

Indyplumber said:
I wonder what folks have done when they've purchased a finished body with wood mount pickup routing. 
line6man said:
Use shielding paint or copper tape.
:icon_scratch:  Think he wants to paint / stain it, Not shield it.

It all depends on the colour of the body & the pickup colour on how best to finish it in the bare pup cavities
P-90's or TV jones with no ears, fit snuggly into the pup routes.
Not much, if any finish needed with those.

I got a couple of pic's ....  :icon_biggrin:

This was a Tiger eye finish, with wood mount pups, I used Shellec for this one.
file_zps33083b22.jpg

file_zps115924f9.jpg

On this one below, that was already finished in the pup cavities.
I used black paint, ONLY on the bottom of the pup cavities, just looked better with the black pups.  :icon_thumright:

201152d1.jpg

file_zps3560b73f.jpg

line6man said:
...Use shielding paint or copper tape.

This. I use many coats of shielding paint in every cavity of my guitars no matter if I have humbuckers or noiseless pickups. It works!

Kostas said:
line6man said:
...Use shielding paint or copper tape.
This. I use many coats of shielding paint in every cavity of my guitars no matter if I have humbuckers or noiseless pickups. It works!

For the 2nd time  :doh:  .... He hasn't asked what to use to shield the cavities.

But please tell me if I'm wrong thou ....
He wants to paint / dye / stain etc etc etc

Indyplumber said:
A black felt marker has been suggested to me.

I've never really paid attention to the whole wood mounted pickup thing. Is it really as 1) nonadjustable, and 2) incredibly low as it looks?

I don't think the shielding paint is being suggested so much for its shielding ability as it is for it's covering of the wood. Beside's all the OP said is he wonders what people have done. People are telling him what they have done :dontknow:

I have lined the cavity with black felt. I thought it looked great and it was easy to do and reversable if needed.

I have also created a "ring" which just fit around the pickup inside of the cavity. It was held on merely by friction. It covered the mounting screws and created a black field surrounding the pickup.

Back