filtertron vs split humbuckers vs ...

S

swarfrat

I see comparisons between various pickups purporting to be filtertron derived. But what about the split tele -humbuckers - where do they fit in all this?

Just be clear, I'm talking about
split.png

vs
tron.png

rather than any series/parallel/tapping electrical arrangments.

I don't hear a lot of love for the split humbuckers.

Been doing some research on this (see my what pickups in what guitar I posted yesterday in the General discussion area).

In talking with Tom (TV Jones), the Classic (normal filtertron) does not split well due to its lower output. Not even certain he would make one that could split. He did say a Classic+ (hotter Classic for bridge only) can be split.

I would presume a Powertron could be split as it is hotter yet, but then again while it looks like a filtertron, once you get to Powertrons, you are moving out of filtertron area and to something hotter and tonally different than a filtertron.

In talking with Curtis Novak, he said his WRHB split very well as they are slightly hotter than a normal HB. He also noted that split, they are much closer to a typical SC sound than a normal split HB due to the fact the WRHB uses pole magnets (like typical SCs) rather than bar magnets (like typical HBs).

TBurst, I think you misread the OP. I don't know much about either except that the Split Humbuckers were designed by Seth Lover (of PAF fame) to be a more wide-range pickup. It was designed to sound more like a single-coil and less like a PAF but still be hum-canceling. The original split humbuckers used pole-piece magnets like a strat pickup rather than a bar magnet underneath with slugs (like a paf). The split humbucker should offer a lot of clarity.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Wide_Range

Based on what I'm reading, Filter'Trons are just really low output humbuckers (4-5k) wound a bit narrower than a PAF. I actually haven't played through either but based on what I'm reading the Fender Split sounds more muscular/punchy (like a PAF trying to have more clarity) and the TV Jones sound quieter, brighter, scratchier/more harmonics, etc. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more help.

Oh I see, split meaning WRHBs.
Well anyways there are some thoughts on coil splitting these 2 type of pups from the people you make them.

Just talking these 2 pups, definitely a difference. Thats why I am looking at getting a guitar setup for each.

Dead on, Filterons are a lower output, and with a narrower field (closer colis). That tends to cause the highs to sing out more and the bass remain clear. Filtertrons tend to be described in chime and growl.

Dead on. WRHBs with Pole magnets offer a more focused field that adds in clarity. They tend to be hotter as well that typical HBs.

Lots of clips of both out there. Do not listen to any RI WRHB as they are built totally different, using a bar magnet rather than pole magnets.

Ah thanks. I'd only seen them referred to as vintage fender split. WRHB is vastly more useful to a search engine due to the namespace collision on the word 'split' in the context of pickups.

If you are looking for one for a typical HB route, this is the one to look at

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/hum-WR.shtml

The normal WRHB will not fill in a typical HB route.

Also if you go WRHB, make sure you get one with pole magnets and not bar magnets.

Just an update - for the internet at large. (And myself - more than a few times I'll google some topic and find myself either asking it or answering it 15-20 years ago)

I've decided to keep the Mean 90 on the neck after all. I scoured the internet using the ultra scientific process of listening to pickups through unknown mics and sometimes unknown amps, recorded by  random schmucks through youtube's TCOAS (Tin Cans On A String) compression algorithm through my laptop speakers...

While this truly sucks, it's amazing that your ear can still listen and go 'that must've been an impressive raging guitar sound before it hit my laptop speakers'.  Anyway, I liked what I did hear of the GFS Liverpools. I wanted to like the Surf 90, because of stuff I've read from other people plus the magnets and trim ring look way cool, but it just wasn't there. All clicky with no midrange character I guess the 'Surf' should have tipped me off.

I did all this over a long weekend on the road. When I got home, picked up my guitar and started messing with it, I realized: Woah stop. THIS guitar was supposed to be different. It's supposed to be the woodiness & throaty roar and all that other jazz that I don't get from my EMG'd strat. And I'd been trying to get a decent semi-clean sweet clangy neck pickup with the same settings that gives the bridge P90 the throaty roar and midrange rudeness.  When I cleaned it up and fiddled around a bit more, I decided that it DID have the nice woody tones I wanted out of the guitar in the first place. 

But I'm keeping a spot in mind for the Liverpools. Maybe Liverpool / VEH hardtail something or other.

I have a set of Telenator's WRHB rebuilds.  The originals has a CuNiFe magnet as the pole piece. This alloy allows for threading of it, so the slugs were adjustable.  I decided against them for price reasons, and get the AlNiCo slugs that were pressed in, like single coil pickups.  They are very clear, like single coils.  Work well with fuzz or distortion.  I did not have them splitable, I just don't use the split sound for anything.  The are very tele sounding with a fixed bridge, but they also are something quite unique that is not adequately described by saying it is a tele pickup.
Patrick

If given a choice between the 2, I'd take the Filtertrons.

You get all the twang, but with the fatness too.  Its the best of both worlds.  Listen to Brian Setzer, he gets gobbs of fat tone but with great clarity and still gets the twang.

Its a small genre, but Christian artist Chris Quilala.
There are some other in that genre that use them as well.

As currently, 80% of my playing is in that genre, I am looking to equip 1 guitar with them.
The selected subject is my Godin Flat Five X.

But will only do that once I get my LP refretted. The Godin is my only other HxH guitar right now. Also the only other 24 3/4 scale length.

I have the TVJones Magnatron pair on order since July 17.  Now October 1.
Their subcontractor screwed up the hole spacing in the covers, had them all plated, and they don't fit.
He had to fabricate all new covers, then get them plated, and finally back to TVJones for assembly.
The TVJones customer service was pleasant and easy to work with.

These are going into a Strat-12, Rickenbacker drone stringing, with the drone below the main string.
Maple body, ebony board, stainless frets.

bgavin said:
I have the TVJones Magnatron pair on order since July 17.  Now October 1.
Their subcontractor screwed up the hole spacing in the covers, had them all plated, and they don't fit.
He had to fabricate all new covers, then get them plated, and finally back to TVJones for assembly.
The TVJones customer service was pleasant and easy to work with.

These are going into a Strat-12, Rickenbacker drone stringing, with the drone below the main string.
Maple body, ebony board, stainless frets.

The Magnatrons are an unbelievably bright pickup.  The guitar I have one in is "twangier" than my tele.  It is a great pickup if you play a genre like surf, where you're trying to get a clean, bright, clanky tone.  The hotter Magnatron bridge pickup sounds great with some overdrive, too.

:guitaristgif:

Necropost, but this thread turned up (only 2 years later, imagine that) while searching for something else. I thought I would add to it that I ended up sticking a GFS Memphis on the bridge of one my guitars and I'm still loving it. Thinking now about trying one in he neck too

Back