fender vs warmoth tele - body thickness

the normal Fender is 1,75", just equal Warmoth

In the 50's they bought the 2" log and planned it each side to take the saw marks (quote on Melvis Hiscock - Make your own electric guitar)

NonsenseTele said:
the normal Fender is 1,75", just equal Warmoth

In the 50's they bought the 2" log and planned it each side to take the saw marks (quote on Melvis Hiscock - Make your own electric guitar)

Not log, but resawn lumber.  Depending on the length you want, its not uncommon to have to go 2/4 over (or more) finish size.

That is, when you want 7/4 finished planking (1.75), you'd start with 9/4 resawn lumber if the length was going to be more than a few feet long (think in terms of 8 or 10 or more feet requires thicker stuff).  For wood as short as a guitar body, they could easily saw it into nearly finished length, then plane it.  A bit more labor intensive, but "perhaps" a better use of materials.  If the wood was cheep and the labor dear, then going with the thicker lumber and letting the plane do the work would be more economical.  Leo being the cheeeeeeep sob that he was, probably would direct that things be done one way or the other depending on the market for wood, or even the type of wood (ie prices for ash vs alder vs poplar vs whatever).

And, I suppose when you use as much wood as Fender did/does, you can specify certain things that make the ordinarily coarse resaw blade marks a bit finer.  Again, for a price... it all has to balance out for the lowest bottom line for a product that has, at its core, a commodity item - wood.

log, timber, lumber, blank, to many names :laughing7: always make confusion...
searched a picture of it... :) That's lumber he used...

=CB= said:
...that is, when you want 7/4 finished planking (1.75), you'd start with 9/4 resawn lumber...

Seriously, the metric system. Give it a try, USA. The rest of the world may have a point.

:icon_jokercolor:

vtpcnk said:
strat's thickness is 1.75", are you sure about the tele being the same?

Never had a Fender on my hands dude... too expensive here.
But every single thing I read says 1.75"

Fender Mustang - 1.5"
Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Precision, Strat, Tele - 1.75"
Gibson "real" SG - 1.5".
Warmoth SG - 1.75".
Gibson Les Paul - 1.75".

The good thing about not using the metric system is that you only have to measure in 1/4" intervals, none of those dinky, foreign little "mm's" allowed!  :icon_scratch:

WE EAT OUR M&M's, here.... :party07:

stubhead said:
Fender Mustang - 1.5"
Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Precision, Strat, Tele - 1.75"
Gibson "real" SG - 1.5".
Warmoth SG - 1.75".
Gibson Les Paul - 1.75".

LP is thicker than that...2 and 1/4" if I remember right

The good thing about not using the metric system is that you only have to measure in 1/4" intervals, none of those dinky, foreign little "mm's" allowed!   :icon_scratch:
WE EAT OUR M&M's, here.... :party07:

hummm I remember the "what's the measure of PRS nut" thread... :laughing7:

The back of a Les Paul is 1.75.  It's over 2" when you add the carved top.

regular lp std including the maple cap is 2".

i think the lp studios are 1 3/4". i have a flat top lp jr special plus which 1 3/4".

dbw said:
The back of a Les Paul is 1.75.  It's over 2" when you add the carved top.

Yes, I meant the whole body :D

vtpcnk said:
regular lp std including the maple cap is 2".

i think the lp studios are 1 3/4". i have a flat top lp jr special plus which 1 3/4".
The flat are this, but the standard is 1 3/4" + 5/8" top... might get a little smaller than 2 3/8" in the end, so matches the literature saying 2 -1/4" :D

kboman said:
Seriously, the metric system. Give it a try, USA. The rest of the world may have a point.
:icon_jokercolor:

+1

Back