Favorite Thanksgiving foods?

hannaugh

Master Member
What's your favorite Thanksgiving dishes?  Crazy old family recipes?

We have cranberry sauce with orange liqueur in it, family recipe stuffing (with bacon, apples, and water chestnuts), cauliflower gratin, lots of yummy things.  Tomorrow is gonna be good.

I'm just about to dunk the turkey overnight in a brine solution that's just about cooled enough to pour into the bucket ... then tomorrow I'll get the smoker readied for a 6+ hour apple wood session

smoked turkey served about 20 minutes after it's out of the smoker  :cool01:

R

We don't have Thanksgiving. Have a good one.

We will probably watch the Lady Gaga vs The Muppets thing though, how can that not be brilliant?

Smoked turkey, broccoli and rice casserole, candied yams and punkin' pie...

Happy bird-day everyone...

Honestly, I love jellied cranberry sauce from a can.  :blob7:

I'm fond of candied yams and stuffing, as well.

SkuttleFunk said:
I'm just about to dunk the turkey overnight in a brine solution that's just about cooled enough to pour into the bucket ... then tomorrow I'll get the smoker readied for a 6+ hour apple wood session

smoked turkey served about 20 minutes after it's out of the smoker  :cool01:

R
DangerousR6 said:
Smoked turkey, broccoli and rice casserole, candied yams and punkin' pie...

Happy bird-day everyone...

You guys with smokers make me jealous!  That sounds really good.

line6man said:
Honestly, I love jellied cranberry sauce from a can.  :blob7:

I'm fond of candied yams and stuffing, as well.

We make our really good cranberry sauce, but we always have to have a can in the fridge too because it's what everyone remembers from childhood.  There's a place for everything! 

And on that note - HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYBODY! 

993738_10152041038715664_184537969_n.jpg

The indispensable dish at my house is the leftover turkey sandwiches.  My old Irish-Catholic grandfather who adhered rigidly to pre-Vatican-II dietary edicts would not eat meat on Fridays - so he would stay up until midnight the day after Thankgiving to have the first turkey sandwich off the carcass.  Then everyone else was permitted to partake.  RIP, Paddy Hickey.

My youngest brother, after he moved out of my mom's house, would come over and stealthily let himself in very early Friday morning after Thanksgiving and help himself to two or three sandwiches before anyone else was up.  He has since developed better manners, but the desire is still strong.

I just got done serving the best Thanksgiving dinner I ever had, and had 26 people in the house, including siblings, uncles, friends, and their various children.  Smashing success.  I did a conventional stale bread stuffing that freakin' ruled.  Sautee two onions and four or five stalks of celery in olive oil, season with sage, oregano, thyme, and fennel seed that's been slightly crushed in mortar & pestle.  Add 1.5 quarts of chicken broth and bring to a boil, then turn off.  Add aobut 8 cups of seasoned toasted stale bread cubes and mix.  If your stuffing is too wet, add more bread; if it's too dry, add more broth.  Salt the bird's cavities well.  Stuff your bird and roast.

We had mashed potatoes with butter and cream and cream cheese, and a butternut squash dish my wife made in teh slow-cooker - chunked squash, orange juice concentrate, butter, sage, salt and pepper, cooked for several hours.  Surprisingly firm texture to the squash, and wonderful flavor.

My best friend's dad made a braised fennel gratinee with crumbled bacon - om nom nom. 

My niece made the classic green bean casserole with style - best version of the dish I ever ate - and she also made a spiced cranberry relish that was quite excellent.

Many pies of various types showed up, and my older sister also made a "pumpkin pie cake," which was very very good - and I don't much care for pumpkin dishes.  She also made a mascarpone tart with a sweet cranberry topping.

The only tragedy is that with so many guests we barely had enough gravy to make it through the night, and there were no leftovers on the stuffing, nor gravy, nor potatoes.  We did have enough turkey for everyone to have sandwiches, though, and I made a delicious turkey soup out of the stripped carcass for dinner last night.

We also had two toddlers in the house - my own Ollie, and his cousin Elliana - whom we barely refrained from devouring.  They were and are just too cute to be believed.

Bagman - how big of a turkey/how many turkeys do you need to feed 26 people + leftovers? 

I come from a small family, and the largest number I've ever had at the house for Thanksgiving was 9 or 10. 

Our bird was about 25 pounds.  There was enough left over for about a half dozen sandwiches, plus I made soup out of the carcass (which I am having for breakfast as I write this).

Back