favorite rock amp?

I have a Carvin V3... it's really good for hard rock/alternative rock/metal type stuff.  JamesL has one too and he swears by it. 

Mesa Boogie makes kickass amps too.

I tend to favor the Germans.  Hughes and Kettner and Diezel are the nicest sounds I've heard on a record. although I"ll have to kill somebody up here ( canada ) to actually be able to play one.
Right now though I"m playing a Rivera.  I reall really liked the K-Tre.  Its HUGE.  When I was at the store the guy turned the master all the way down and cranked the gain to 10.  Even with the master off you still get some pre-amp noice through the speakers. all super distorted and pretty farty sounding.  but I had the axe in Drop-D and he said. just mute/chug that low D and listen.  And he slowly turned up the master to about 1.5 and it was just.... mmmmmm.. yeah it was good. CHUNK.  awesome metal amp.  But it only has 2 channels .. bright clear blackface type clean and that over psycho hi-gain tube metal sound.  So I went the Knucklehead 100.  It had 3 channels and I could have a great deal more versatility with it. the 3rd channel isn't much more gain-ey than the 2nd.  I wish the 3rd channel on my amp was the same preamp as the K-Tre dirty channel, but its still friggen awesome.  Rivera only makes Tube amps and they're the most affordable "Boutique" amps you'll ever buy.  I actually took a road trip to L.A. just so I could go amp shopping.  I had my Heart on a Diezel VH4s ($5400 just for the head) and ended up walking out with my knucklehead ($2200 US).  They're good guys down there. They make 'em right in California... who knew Id get an american amp?  Paul Rivera designed the blackface amps for Fender back in the day (as far as I know, correct me if i'm wrong) and now that he's making his own amps his son Paul Jr. is working in the shop and he does all the PR stuff.. interviews bands and shows off the amps at NAMM and stuff.  Funny thing is I've phoned down there 5 or 6 times to ask questions and order my cabinet and such, and every time I call I get Paul Jr. picking up, usually accompanied in the background by the sound of a drill or driver for when he's working on an amp.  My buddy who uses Marshalls is jealous of that, since he has a snowballs chance of ever getting Jim on the phone when he calls.

For a solid state amp I'm a big fan of Crates.  I've got an older model (maybe 10 years old or so) 2x12 combo thats still rockin despite the abuse i've given it.  Awesome amps for the price and I've never seen a broken one.  I'll be getting a new one pretty quick. one of their shockwaves that they discontinued last year (assuming they dont sell it at the store before new years *crosses fingers*)  I can get the head and a slant cab for it for less than 1300 dollars.  and It is a nice amp.

To be honest, I use different OD/Dist boxes to achieve the amount of gain I need; if it's gonna be more than 60's-style.  But I also use a non-master volume Marshall head.  Using a stomp box to goose said amp keeps things fat, clear & articulate; not muddy or thin & buzzy.

Hughes and Kettner for me. I have used the Switchblade for abit but sold it to get some new toys.
Now I'm waiting for the H&K Trilogy I just ordered.

Dont need any of your namby pamby MultiChannel switching rubbish.  Gimme a Marshall Plexi cranked "balls to the wall" any day.  Stick a decent Clean Boost or Overdrive pedal in front of it and it'll rock all day long.  :headbang:

So There ! ! ! !    :rock-on:

:icon_thumright:    :eek:ccasion14:

Simplicity and something that you don't mind kicking the shit out of is the key to a real rock amp.

My Peavey Valveking is the best out and out rock amp I've owned and cost a fraction of the price of my previous valve amps.

jimh said:
Dont need any of your namby pamby MultiChannel switching rubbish.  Gimme a Marshall Plexi cranked "balls to the wall" any day.  Stick a decent Clean Boost or Overdrive pedal in front of it and it'll rock all day long.  :headbang:

So There ! ! ! !    :rock-on:

:icon_thumright:    :eek:ccasion14:

:icon_thumright:

Jolly good.

Soloshchenko said:
Simplicity and something that you don't mind kicking the shite out of is the key to a real rock amp.

My Peavey Valveking is the best out and out rock amp I've owned and cost a fraction of the price of my previous valve amps.

+1. I'm digging my Valveking...err... I think it needs a tube change though - the sound is cut down and there's like no distortion on the OD channel and the clean channel there's no sound at all.

I have two amps a 1964 Fender Bassman Head with a Fender 2X12 (I think I never measured them) cabinet side by side speakers not stacked.  I am pretty sure it is a 64, I have had it for some time and have had to turn down some seriously nice offers for it. It was a gift from my day for my 18th birthday, he got it from a guy around here known as Fendo.  I also have a polytone mini brute from of unknown vintage.  It has the sparkly silver grill cloth and a spring reverb in it.  Sometimes I play them together, I just split my signal and then the cops come let me know about noise ordinances.  I don't play metal, so I couldn't tell you how my rig would do this:    :party07:

rounce55 said:
whats everyone mean by +1?

Yeah I was wondering WTF that means also?

Back