Fat Back - WOW!

fdesalvo

I want to clear up something about the Fat Back profile straight away- this neck is not intimidating at all!  I just received mine last night and its size is not overwhelming- the shoulders are just perfect and the shape puts wood into all the right parts of your hand.  It doesn’t feel like a big neck, it just feels like the right neck- just as fast as the Wizard profile without the hand cramping.  I can’t believe how intimidated I was by all the information I found online.  I was prepared to reshape the profile, but the only thing I’m going to do is lightly round over the fret board edges and coat it with some Minwax satin poly.

~F

Well I respectfully disagree and neither of us are right because they're opinions.  I've played one, and for me, it feels fine the further you go up the neck but it's too thick on frets 1 through 5.

I've never played the fat back but I thought the '59 roundback neck I ordered would be too big, but it turned out to be perfect :icon_thumright:

Follow your instinct :icon_biggrin:

fdesalvo said:
I want to clear up something about the Fat Back profile straight away- this neck is not intimidating at all!  I just received mine last night and its size is not overwhelming- the shoulders are just perfect and the shape puts wood into all the right parts of your hand.  It doesn’t feel like a big neck, it just feels like the right neck- just as fast as the Wizard profile without the hand cramping.  I can’t believe how intimidated I was by all the information I found online.  I was prepared to reshape the profile, but the only thing I’m going to do is lightly round over the fret board edges and coat it with some Minwax satin poly.

~F

I agree with all of your points, I love the fat back, ..... at first it seems thick but after a short time its very comfortable, and I shred on it even better than a thin profile neck because its just as you said...wood in all the right places, perfect for bluesy stuff and scalar playing.  :icon_thumright:

i dont believe ANY of you, you should all ship me samples of your necks so that I can try each one out for myself and make my own opinion  :toothy10:

I have fatbacks in all my guitars but it doesn't feel right, it's just the one I prefer from the current neck profiles. I have played Warmoths with the THIN, SRV and '59 and I believe an asymmetric profile with 0.94" or  0.95" thickness all the way would be ideal for me.

Kostas said:
I have fatbacks in all my guitars but it doesn't feel right, it's just the one I prefer from the current neck profiles. I have played Warmoths with the THIN, SRV and '59 and I believe an asymmetric profile with 0.94" or  0.95" thickness all the way would be ideal for me.

why not try a wolfgang? i agree the srv isnt really right but because stevie's neck was wore out, sanded refinised and wore out again, many times. you cant add wood so naturally it was a shape that doesnt have the right angle where it meets the fretboard, well not for me atleast, the wolfgang overlaid on the srv will have a bit of extra wood on the lower radius filling your hand a bit more feeling thicker.

i agree fatbacks are nice. out of the current options i think it's a tossup between that and the wolfgang, i am even considering selling my srv profile telecaster neck, purple heart, macasar ebony board, koa laminate on the headstock, and stainless frets, so i can buy exactly the same thing with a wolfgang profile instead and maybe different finger board instead.

I love both the 59 and the roundback, although the 59 is the only one I've tried in a completed guitar. The fatback felt wonderful, but unfortunately I had to send it back before I put it on the guitar. My next neck will probably be a fat.

The main reason why I went with the fat back was for the deeper shoulders. As it turns out, I like to feel some shoulder across the inside of my hand.  The other profiles have more shallow shoulders that can't give me this given my hand size, which id say is medium.  

The fat back sits really well in the hand at the nut and stays out of my way as Islide up for solos. The wizard, which I also like, feels like a fret board with narrow shoulders when I solo; it leaves a huge gap between the back of the neck and my hand- a feeling I've just identified as not feeling right.  But this is my opinion haha.

I was really shocked at how comfy this neck is- and I hate my friend's lp with the fat carve- it cramps my hand. This one is technically larger, but the way the profile rounds out is just magical.  This neck was a real surprise.  I also took a few grades of sanding blocks and rounded over the fret board edges, which makes a noticable diffference in comfort.  

I'm liking fat... zero issues - except - perhaps that I'm more sensitive to less than stellar setup with the fatback

Back