Exotic wood necks??

M

mstubb11

Hi everybody. I am currently getting ready to order a neck for my Warmoth strat body. It is A Mahogany body with a figured redwood laminate top, using 2 humbuckers  (seymour duncan 59's) rear routed, and a hardtail bridge . I am looking for an exotic wood neck that requires no finish with tonal characteristics similar to mahogany, I was wondering if anyone has an experience with any exotics that sound similar to mahogany. It doesn't have to be exact but I'd like it to be close. Opinions are greatly appreciated! thanks in advance everyone!

Sounds like you need an all Indian Rosewood neck!! sounds very close to Mahogany, but feels waaaay better!!

I can't answer any of your questions, but man that is a COOL guitar.

Could you tell us a bit more about it?

I'm of no use for your original question as well,

But that is one cool guitar!  I wish W offered a shape that's similar.

VK, I was reading your post and then the pictures of your guitars came up and the words just sort of became "bluh bluh bluh..." - they are the sexiest guitars on this board, there is just no comparison.

On topic though, the point that "a bright guitar can be made to sound darker much more easily than a dark sounding guitar can be made to sound bright" is excellent. I'm dreaming of an LP build and will probably go with bubinga for the neck when the day comes.

As it is my opinion that its easier to make a bright sounding guitar sound darker, than it is to make a darker sounding guitar sound bright.  So it would be my recomendation to go with one of the woods Warmoth offers that has a tone-o-meter reading a little closer to the middle, but not on the bright side.  Like Wenge, Bubinga or Goncalo Alves.  I have two guitars with Goncalo Alves necks and am quite happy with them.  There's a few pics and sound clips of one on this thread:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6653.0

As far as SG tones.  SGs are not rocket science.  I would recomend a Mahogany body and Mahogany neck.  They have the Gibson scale, obviously, so that might be a point to consider.  Other than that, I'm sure you know what your doing.

YMMV

Back