Excellent Luthier in NYC

Rick

Epic Member
I can highly recommend

Fried Guitars, Inc
516 State Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217
718-855-2504

He's just off of third avenue, a very short walk from the Atlantic Center Mall, and less than an 8 minute walk from the following train stations: LIRR, 2,3,4,5, B, N, R, Q, W, G and C.  Very close to the Brooklyn Acadamy of Music.  Accessable from all points in NYC.  Conveniently located.

He can help you with any aspect of your guitar making endevor.  Assembly to set-up and anything in between. Makes excellent custom solid bodies.   I know he does off site work for major retailors in NYC.

I second this! He just Leveled and crowned the frets from a used Gorgeous Warmoth I bought, and it is incredible. He found some issues with the wiring and I can't express enough what a good (and quite inexpensive), job he did. He just finished assembling my new Warmoth Pro Strat.... I can't wait to pick it up!

Good to know! Can I also recommend Evan Gluck on the UWS around 100th, formerly of Manny's Music. He has installed a K&K on my acoustic, done a full fret level / polish on the 1 warmoth neck that has needed it, and done the fret ends on two other guitars. All work has been 100% perfect, and I'm really picky. He gets jobs done quickly, too, in my experience.
http://newyorkguitarrepair.com/index.html

>Can I also recommend Evan Gluck on the UWS around 100th, formerly of Manny's Music

i second that. evan has done great work on many of my guitars - assembling warmoths, setting up gibson LPs, changing the electronics on a semi-hollow etc.

he is very knowlegable, professional and his rates are quite reasonable too.

Yeah, Gary's a good guy. Even if you just want to shoot the shite, you can stop by his shop and pick his brain.

Additionally, Matt Brewster of 30th Street Guitars (on selfsame street in Manhattan, between 7th and 8th avenues), installed Texas Specials into my Strat and gave her a great set-up (even replaced my jack because he noticed a problem with it) and it cost me about $80 bucks ... which seemed pretty reasonable, but what do I know?

Can anyone recommend a good guitar luthier and a good violin luthier in new york city? I have an old CF Martin classical guitar and would like someone who can know what date it was made and how much its value is. Would like to have it restored also.

tfarny said:
Good to know! Can I also recommend Evan Gluck on the UWS around 100th, formerly of Manny's Music. He has installed a K&K on my acoustic, done a full fret level / polish on the 1 warmoth neck that has needed it, and done the fret ends on two other guitars. All work has been 100% perfect, and I'm really picky. He gets jobs done quickly, too, in my experience.
http://newyorkguitarrepair.com/index.html

Evan's a great tech, he's been my go-to guy for setups...but just fyi, as of about 2011 or 2012, he'd stopped doing any type of work that involves sawdust. Something about his wife's allergies.

reluctant-builder said:
Matt Brewster of 30th Street Guitars (on selfsame street in Manhattan, between 7th and 8th avenues), installed Texas Specials into my Strat and gave her a great set-up (even replaced my jack because he noticed a problem with it) and it cost me about $80 bucks ... which seemed pretty reasonable, but what do I know?

Not to disparage good people (I had Matt do some work on my Modulus several years ago, he did a fine job) but fwiw I'm now in a position of having to find another luthier to do a Warmoth build/mod job, because after discussing this one with Matt for over three weeks via email and visiting him in person once with the Warmoth neck I was planning to use to show him the logistics, when I finally brought all the pieces to him today he basically said "Sorry, I'm too busy to take on a project like this."

...but in fairness to Matt, he did give me a good recommendation for a luthier who could help me with my project: Paul Nieto of GuitarTechNY on 14th Street.

I brought Paul all the parts yesterday, he was very attentive and thorough and asked all the right questions. Looking forward to seeing his work, but if the other instruments around his shop were any indication, I'm in good hands.

I'm curious to know how things go with Paul Nieto @ GuitarTech NY.  From reading this thread I started talking to him about doing a build for me, as well.  Please keep us posted!

IntravenusDiMilo said:
I'm curious to know how things go with Paul Nieto @ GuitarTech NY.  From reading this thread I started talking to him about doing a build for me, as well.  Please keep us posted!

I got the bass back from Paul last week; not only does he do good work, he's fast!
He clearly's been doing this a long time: Asked all the right questions, offered some unique suggestions that made a ton of sense, and called me up to re-confirm some minor details before he whipped out the power tools. His workmanship is excellent, and his service is very professional.

I would definitely recommend him.

Back