Exact measurements of Warmoth Necks

Suds

I received my Warmoth SRV neck and I measured the contouring with a very precise digital measuring tool.  And it came to 0.810 at the first fret and 0.920 at the 12 fret.  The website says the measurements are 0.835 and 0.970.  I am returning the neck because they messed up my order but now I am rethinking the SRV contouring because I was surprised by how asymmetrical it was. 

The next closest thing for me is the 59 round back.  My concern is that when I receive the 59 round back it will match the measurements on the website: 1st Fret .860" 12th Fret - .970".  Which I believe might be too thick.  What I am hoping is that all Warmoth necks are actually thinner than stated on the website.  The thickest contour on one of my guitars is 0.845 at the 1st fret and thats about as thick as I want to go.

What would be ideal is if someone owns a 59 Roundback and can confirm the actual contouring measurements.

On a side note, why does Warmoth offer so little options on contouring?  Everyones hand is so different that it would be nice to be given more of an option.

Also how V-shape is the Clapton Warmoth?  Because I played the Fender Clapton and it is very V-shaped.  But I own the Fender SRV and the Warmoth SRV is not even close.  The fender one is thicker, oval, and symmetrical.

Thanks for to anyone who enjoys helping others

Suds  :blob7:

Perhaps it is because they offer some of the more popular or conventional contours.  My understanding is the necks are made using a CNC machine.  Each contour requires its own program, which cost time and money to create and change.

I have a 59 roundback neck and it seems identical to my Gibson LP neck.  Never bothered to measure it to see if it matches the exact measurements listed on the web site.  It feels "right" so I couldn't be happier.

Bill

the basic is routed out, but its finished and sanded by hand, as all around the globe (even at the CNC paradise, the PRS factory).

I think the necks are quite within the tolerances, as they already make a disclaimer; neckback might be a bit different from specs, because its handwork. I've got a fatback that was just a bit skinier than regular. No reason, I believe, to return it, unless its really something you dont like, but: warmoth did deliver what you asked for.

"and it came to 0.810 at the first fret and 0.920 at the 12 fret.  The website says the measurements are 0.835 and 0.970.  I am returning the neck because they messed up my order"

Messed up your order? I would suggest that when dealing with a product made from wood, 5 HUNDREDTHS of an inch, much less 25 THOUSANDTHS of an inch would be "within tolerance". Why don't you go to Guitar Center and see how far off spec all the Fender necks in the store are?

I dont calculate in inches, because I'm european. I just did the math:

0,0635 centimeters... thats half a MILLIMETER!! get real. plain and simple. get real.use bigger strings to get a 'fatter' feel, but half a millimeter. dont make me laugh.

oh, you just did.

Orpheo said:
I dont calculate in inches, because I'm european. I just did the math:

0,0635 centimeters... thats half a MILLIMETER!! get real. plain and simple. get real.use bigger strings to get a 'fatter' feel, but half a millimeter. dont make me laugh.

oh, you just did.

+1
Spray another coat of gloss on it.....That'll bring it up to spec......
C'mon bro, half a millimeter is hardly worth sending it back and waiting ages for a replacement, is it? 

Yeah dude, you got to chill.  If you need it any more exact than 0.5mm you should probably order a fatback and do it yourself with a rasp.

To everyone that read this: SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION

I didn't want to say what Warmoth actually messed up my order with.....but now that everyone is so concerned.  I ordered a two-piece, quarter-sawn maple strat, and the guy on the phone said he could make it a two-piece (lamented fingerboard).  It came as a one-piece.  And even on my order form it acknowledge the maple on maple neck.  So thats how they messed it up.  And they are willing to re-order me another one.  But now that I am fortunate enough to have been able to feel the SRV contour I decided to rethink my next order, because I was not anticipating the degree of the asymmetrical properties, when I actually gripped it with my own hand.  When I put it against my SRV fender they were surprisingly different.

And I was curious of the neck depth so I measured it and realized that it was different than the website and I was curious if that is common. 

I actually liked the fact that it was a hair thinner and when I order another neck I am curious to know whether I can ask to make a hair or two thinner than the website specs.

When I got onto this forum I was really curious why there were so many responses to my post.  I now see why.  Hope you guys see it too.

:blob7:

What's the benefit of a two piece maple neck? Is it for birds-eye or flame on the fretboard or something? And if so, wouldn't you have to ask for a special piece of wood? Just curious.

GoDrex said:
What's the benefit of a two piece maple neck? Is it for birds-eye or flame on the fretboard or something? And if so, wouldn't you have to ask for a special piece of wood? Just curious.

There's no real difference other than cosmetic that I know of. Not all billets have suitable grain for a one-piece neck and I suspect that the CNC machining of the fretboard radius uncovers a lot of those little brown streak flaws you see in some of the necks going for cheap on the "screaming hot deals" page

Well the guy that is routing and essentially finishing the guitar for me swears against 1-piece maple necks.....and I trust his opinion.  And I have been told by other luthiers that if you have the choice between one piece maple or two piece go with the two.  And considering the amount of money I am investing in the whole project I shouldn't have to settle for something I didn't order.

The reasoning why the tech prefers two-piece is because in all the years of his experience, he has seen far many more one-piece neck in for repair and service than two.  And that my neck will be better in the long run and stronger in the long run.  So this is my reason for requesting the two piece.

Suds said:
Well the guy that is routing and essentially finishing the guitar for me swears against 1-piece maple necks.....and I trust his opinion.  And I have been told by other luthiers that if you have the choice between one piece maple or two piece go with the two.  And considering the amount of money I am investing in the whole project I shouldn't have to settle for something I didn't order.

The reasoning why the tech prefers two-piece is because in all the years of his experience, he has seen far many more one-piece neck in for repair and service than two.  And that my neck will be better in the long run and stronger in the long run.  So this is my reason for requesting the two piece.

How many Warmoth Pro necks has he worked with? These thing do NOT move/warp at all. I live in the worst possible climate, extremes of heat/cold and humidity/dryness in an "architect's house" full of windows. My oldest Warmoth neck is going on three years old and it, nor any of the other 21 necks I've used since has even needed any adjustment past initial setup. Can't say that about anything else I've ever or still own. If the 2 piece neck gives you the warmer fuzzies, go for it, but in practicality from my experience with the quality of product Warmoth puts out, doubt it would ever be an issue.

Suds said:
To everyone that read this: SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION

I didn't want to say what Warmoth actually messed up my order with.....but now that everyone is so concerned.  I ordered a two-piece, quarter-sawn maple strat, and the guy on the phone said he could make it a two-piece (lamented fingerboard).  It came as a one-piece.  And even on my order form it acknowledge the maple on maple neck.  So thats how they messed it up.  And they are willing to re-order me another one.  But now that I am fortunate enough to have been able to feel the SRV contour I decided to rethink my next order, because I was not anticipating the degree of the asymmetrical properties, when I actually gripped it with my own hand.  When I put it against my SRV fender they were surprisingly different.

And I was curious of the neck depth so I measured it and realized that it was different than the website and I was curious if that is common. 

I actually liked the fact that it was a hair thinner and when I order another neck I am curious to know whether I can ask to make a hair or two thinner than the website specs.

When I got onto this forum I was really curious why there were so many responses to my post.  I now see why.  Hope you guys see it too.

I will put it very, very simple: does your neck have a skunkstripe? no? its a 2 piece. yes? its a singlepiece. if its a pro, you will also have the side adjuster.

and that a singlepiece W. pro neck will warp, just because its a singlepiece,  is just bonkous.

I have a Vintage Mondern Strat Neck, with skunk-stripe......1 piece neck.   Regular truss adjustment.......

So if the final process for contouring the neck is done my hand, can I request the 59 Roundback to lose a little extra pounds.  Has anyone ever tried asking for that??

The neck crew works very, very hard to be consistent from neck to neck when finishing up the shaping.  Asking them to deviate by x amount on one specific neck (and potentially from neck to neck) would be a disaster waiting to happen in terms of quality control.

"How many Warmoth Pro necks has he worked with? These thing do NOT move/warp at all. I live in the worst possible climate, extremes of heat/cold and humidity/dryness in an "architect's house" full of windows. My oldest Warmoth neck is going on three years old and it, nor any of the other 21 necks I've used since has even needed any adjustment past initial setup. Can't say that about anything else I've ever or still own. If the 2 piece neck gives you the warmer fuzzies, go for it, but in practicality from my experience with the quality of product Warmoth puts out, doubt it would ever be an issue."

Well I don't know his exact credentials, but I am not about to argue his time spent with guitars, Warmoth or not.  But definitely I go for the warm fuzzies.

Back