Engraved Aluminum Body Les Paul

grath

Hey just finished a new Les Paul build. Aluminum body with warmoth neck. Neck is Wenge with Ebony fret board and 6105 SS frets. Super fast feel and beautiful tone. Body made from 6061T6 aluminum and is fully hollowed out and hand engraved. Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates both neck and bridge. Total weight on guitar is just less than 9 lbs.

Attachments

• Guitar-McGrath3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 575
  • Guitarfull.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 402
Bah, engraving is just icing. Did you do the body?  :headbang:

I saw an ad for "Grath" guitars in Premier Guitar a few months back but the link puttered out.... I have an aluminum "telecaster-shaped" guitar made from a escapee body from the batch made for Fender in 1993 and a USA Custom neck, but I see your process starts with a 25 lb. chunk of aluminum! Never run out of shrapnel....

S6300138-1.jpg

Is there a specific (Greek-ish?) reference point for the winged women sending the winged man to the basement, or just a general guilt trip re: muddy galoshes, forgot to buy milk etc?

Ok lets have a guitar of the month contest right now and just get it over with; give that guitar the kudos it deserves. Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the engraving is done by hand. Heather New of New Line Engraving is the artist. She is a super nice lady to work with and very talented.
As for the sound compared to a traditional Les Paul, I think every guitar has its own sound. It is all in the person playing it , pickups and most import the setup.But I will say that these have beautiful tone and are very crisp and clear very fast response and sustain for days.
I have a website with sound tracks on it. I am trying to sell some. Not haveing great luck at it .But i'm having fun.
www.grathguitars.com

Tonal balance can be adjusted a lot of ways, what I notice about my (hollow) aluminum guitar is the instant attack - it's almost scary. My old Travis Bean was the same way, even though opposite construction - aluminum neck, wood body. Wood guitars sound almost... spongey, by comparison. 

I wasn't actually disparaging the engraving. It's just there are a three or four of us metalheads on the forum, who either are machinists or have worked around the stuff. And the idea of hogging out a couple pounds of aluminum to make a hollow bodied guitar just... makes my mouth M08 G20 G0 Z -66.0

swarfrat said:
I wasn't actually disparaging the engraving. It's just there are a three or four of us metalheads on the forum, who either are machinists or have worked around the stuff. And the idea of hogging out a couple pounds of aluminum to make a hollow bodied guitar just... makes my mouth M08 G20 G0 Z -66.0
:laughing11:

In the website they list the billet's starting weight at 25 lbs to get to a 9 lb total-weight guitar. Google 16" X 18" X 2" aluminum and all you get is baking pans..... :laughing3:

Back