Eminence Ragin Cajun Speakers Anyone?

simple

Staff member
Thinking about loading a 4x10 cab with these. Wondered if anyone here has tried them and has an opinion.

In my experience, Eminence in general are great.  Sadly, no knowledge of that particular model.

Ragin Cajun is an excellent restaurant in Hermosa Beach.  I've never heard of the speakers though.

Hey Greg, the Ragin' Cajuns are great!  They've got a great, chunky low end that doesn't fart out like lots of other 10s and they're super efficient, something like 102 decibels!  They're rated at 75 watts each too, so you're not going to get a lot of breakup from them. 

I love the one I've got in my Super Champ XD.  It took an already good sounding amp, and made it great!  I don't think you could go wrong with them.  Just out of curiosity, what amp would you be running that cab with?

Cheers,
Rose

Let me say I've never used the RC's, but HAVE played with a whole lot of 10s.

My two favs are the old "Vintage 10" Celestion, and the Eminence 10ALK ( Alnico/Kapton former).  They're different toned, but each is outstanding.  The old Vintage 10's are still out there if you look for em.

The new Vintage 10 (or whatever C calls them) is "ok" but not as nice.  The old ones had a rather in your face attitude, while the new ones are a bit more subdued, less brilliant, and less low end... more Vintage 30 toned, but in a 10 inch size.

The 10ALK (now called the 102 or something like that) is the BEST 10inch Alnico I've ever tried.  These are the Fender Blue (when offered by Fender) and are the ones that gave the reissue Bassman a bad reputation.  You see... you need to break in the speakers, which nobody who was "evaluating" an amp ever did, either reviewer or customer in a store.  Once broken in, they are DEAD ringers for an original 10" Jensen Alnico P10Q.  Good speaks they are.

So, dunno bout the RC's, but.. I'm not sure I'd ever look to try 'em either, as the tones are just so good from the two I've mentioned (when used in a 60s/70s Fender type amp that is).

Hey, great info guys, thanks.

I am thinking seriously about getting 4 Ragin Cajuns and putting them in either:

1) a 1991 Fender Reissue 59 Bassman amp I have to get more clear, less broken up lows, but hopefull keep some tubular throatyness while maintaining/increasing lows, or

2) load them into that 4x10 Harke cab I have with the Celestion G10L-30 speakers in it. Looking for a "bigger" lowend sound.

My favorite cab to use is my Marshal 4x12 1960AV cab since is sounds huge, but that little Bassman always had a big sound too and not as directional with that open back cab. I just wonder if the 59 really needs those blue alnicos to get that big sound or do the specs on the Ragin Cajuns offer a possibility of a bit more clean headroom. Same for the Hartke cab, will the Cajuns really sound that different from the Celestions that are in it.

A bit pricier option, but 4 x Celestion G10 Vintages in sound pretty damn good in Bassman 4x10 re-issues....

jackthehack said:
A bit pricier option, but 4 x Celestion G10 Vintages in sound pretty damn good in Bassman 4x10 re-issues....
I don't suppose my G10s from the Hartke could go in the bassman...  I guess the operative word is "Vintage" to get the good sounding Celestion 10s?

I don't know about the Ragin Cajun's but a friend has a 212 cabinet with a couple of Eminence speakers in it that sound great.

Gregg said:
jackthehack said:
I don't suppose my G10s from the Hartke could go in the bassman...   I guess the operative word is "Vintage" to get the good sounding Celestion 10s?

What flavor of G10s are you referring to? If they're G10L-30s, how did they get in the Hartke cab? Easy enough to try those by running your out from the Bassman to the cab to get an idea... Those should be easy to sell if you don't like them as they were OEM in Marshall 1965b cabs and not that easy to come by as they were superceded by other Celestion speakers.

My advice to anyone buying a new (or used newer model) Fender amp is to shitcan the sorry excuses for speakers they use in anything short of a Vibroverb or '57 series amps, ergo a friend replacing the "Special Crap Design" speakers with G10 Vintages that really cook.

Yep, I believe those are the numbers on the back of them. The sticker looks like this one;   http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=5  Those are stock speakers for the Hartke. I heard they were specially made for them by Celestion so I wonder if there is some kind of variance I have not uncovered yet. The do sound good; just looking for another sort of sound.

Maybe I'll pull the Celestions and sell them to buy the Eminence Ragin Cajuns. Good idea about plugging the Bassman into that cab.

Back