Emg 85 or Di Marzio Breed?

active pickups have higher output, no question about that, but I wouldn't judge a pickup by it's output.

Don't you just love when people reply with non-sequitirs?
The Breed is more a solo-type pup. I would say the 85 is more what you're looking for. And where power is your concern, output is a priority, and the EMG is the winner there as well.

for rhythem I like an 80 super distortion, I also like the BG pups hellabucker. I have both and go back and forth over which I like better, today I'm leaning more towards the super distortion.

I tried the Breed and didn't care for it, but the problem with EMG 85s is everyone has that sound. If you're going to go for that try it with 18v rather than 9. It opens it up a little more and doesn't sound as sterile.

If you want to go active consider the Duncan Blackout neck pickup,  it's like an 85 except it does so much more. 

I have both in 2 similar guitars (korina body--maple top--maple neck).  You said heavy rythem...so I am assuming you mean with some distortion.  The EMG does have more output and and is 100% hum free.  Take a listen to the guitar sound on the new Judas priest album...there you have it....

The BREED rock too.  Very thick and solo well too.  Harmonicas are not as good as the EMG.  But the BREED will clean up very well too.

I will gladly make you a clip comparing the two...tell me what you want to hear...clean, heavy distortion....mild distortion???

Max you kill me,

jay4321 when you say " everyone has that sound"  we do know that not everyone does, but we get your point. so there must be a reason so many people have that sound. maybe its good and people like it.....I'm just say'n

Alfang said:
jay4321 when you say " everyone has that sound"  we do know that not everyone does, but we get your point. so there must be a reason so many people have that sound. maybe its good and people like it.....I'm just say'n

Oh I like EMG pickups just fine, they have some strong points and I have used/will use them again myself. However with the 85 in particular, it has a tendency to dominate your sound with "that" sound, almost regardless of what instrument it's in, which is what I think makes it so consistent sounding from player to player. You could probably load one in a 2x4 and get the same tone, powerful, but still a bit sterile and cold. I'm suggesting the 18v mod will help a little in this area.

He's asking which is best for rhythm playing.  One is passive, one is active.  What are the other pickups in the guitar.  What I'm getting at is this.  I've seen it done, but don't know how.  Can you put EMGs and a passive in the same system and have them switchable?

here are some shots...my little camera phone does not di the sound justice...(please no comments on the playing...just trying to give some tone differences).

If you name a song...I will play it...within reason please...if you listen, they are very close when dirty.  The BREED has more umph when clean.

This is playing thru a Fender Hot Rod...volume turned down...my kids were sleeping.  I was cycling thru some effects on my Boss GT 10.  Both guitars are sililar construction...Korina/Maple with maple neck.  Both have 500K pots.

these are nice sample of some chords...if you want solos or harmonics...left me know.

EMG 85
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qddFtXyvy3w[/youtube]

BREED
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZOarBLOCk[/youtube]

Back