Electric Guitar Cases

Ozopart

For my Warmoth "Strat" I found a nice Made in the USA case by TKL which is no longer available. For my new Warmoth "Tele" I need a case and am having trouble finding something.
I am looking for a good quality case (soft or hard shell) not made in China. Any suggestions would be appreciated?
I should mention I tried a Fender case for the "Strat" and it was complete junk. I have seen some SKB cases made in Mexico that seem OK, but I am worried they might be junk like the Fender case.
On a related note: Is it normal that cases don't allow you to store your guitar with the trem bar attached? It is a pain to take it on and off every time I play so I end up never using it as my case doesn't allow me to leave it attached.

Did you look at the TKL vectra cases?  they have some specifically designed for tele's and ir strats.  Made in america.  Also check out Gator, another made in America company, at least my case is.  I'm happy with it, but I think your standards are preeeetty high.  I think you're looking at that Candadian (Or English) Company hiscox.

I've yet to find a case that let's me keep on a trem arm, but I don't find it that big of a deal.  If you find one let me know!

Did you try used on ebay?

Also, I've been given gig bags at my local music store.  They were going to throw them out, so even if it's made in China, I don't mind rescuing something from the dump if I can make it good as new with a little sewing.  Just gotta be flexible.

I've gotten leather gig bags from Glen Chronkhite.  Supreme quality.  Highly recommended.

https://glenncronkhite.com/

rick2 said:
Did you look at the TKL vectra cases?  they have some specifically designed for tele's and ir strats.  Made in america.  Also check out Gator, another made in America company, at least my case is.

I've yet to find a case that let's me keep on a trem arm, but I don't find it that big of a deal.  If you find one let me know!

Did you try used on ebay?

Also, I've bought dirt cheap, or been given gig bags at my local music store.  They were going to throw them out, so even if it's made in China, I don't mind rescuing something from the dump if I can make it good as new with a little sewing.  Just gotta be flexible.
The case I have for my "Strat" is the TKL Vectra. I got it online from Ray Mullin in MA. I can't find that case available anywhere now. It still shows that they make it but I can't find it in stock anywhere. Gator stuff looks OK, but I am just afraid it might be like the Fender case I returned before I found the TKL Vectra.
I have never bought anything on Ebay so I couldn't say about them.
Your last suggestion would be fine but I don't have a local music store connection.
I saw something online about Reunion Bags but they charge a 15% restocking fee if you return it and without seeing it I couldn't be sure it was a keeper.
Thanks for the suggestions, and I will let you know if I find a case that allow for leaving the trem bar on.

Mayfly said:
I've gotten leather gig bags from Glen Chronkhite.  Supreme quality.  Highly recommended.

They look really nice. Unfortunately they are a bit above my poor, retired person price range. But I won't entirely rule them out yet as they do look good and would likely last a lifetime.

Did you call a dealership to see if they could order one for you?  Or maybe call TKL?  I've sent TKL emails and they respond.
I'd call 8th street music in NJ and see what they say.  They also have some non vectra tkl cases.

rick2 said:
Did you call a dealership to see if they could order one for you?  Or maybe call TKL?  I've sent TKL emails and they respond.
I'd call 8th street music in NJ and see what they say.  They also have some non vectra tkl cases.
I can call TKL, that is a good suggestion. I really do like the case.

Ozopart said:
Is it normal that cases don't allow you to store your guitar with the trem bar attached?

I've never seen a case that can accommodate an attached bar. But that's just me and my anecdotal observations.

cromulent said:
Not sure which Fender case you tried, but the FE620 is on sale right now at SW.
It was this one:
https://www.fender.com/en-US/accessories/cases/classic-series-wood-case---strattele/0996106306.html

NedRyerson said:
Ozopart said:
Is it normal that cases don't allow you to store your guitar with the trem bar attached?

I've never seen a case that can accommodate an attached bar. But that's just me and my anecdotal observations.
I believe your observations are accurate! I haven't owned an electric guitar in decades, and the last one I had was a late 1950's Telecaster which of course didn't have a trem bar! Sadly I sold that many decades ago. Wish I hadn't of course.

Mayfly said:

yo ive spent less on cars than what these chaps want for a gigbag lmao

Ozopart said:
cromulent said:
It was this one:
https://www.fender.com/en-US/accessories/cases/classic-series-wood-case---strattele/0996106306.html

The FE620 has great reviews and is only $50 right now.  I just picked one up myself.

cromulent said:
Ozopart said:
cromulent said:
It was this one:

The FE620 has great reviews and is only $50 right now.  I just picked one up myself.
It does look interesting. I will check it out further. Thanks!

That's a selection .... free from the discard bin all the way to primo leather.  You'll find something.

I really like the Roadrunner Highway series.  They are like a gig bag/hard case hybrid.  Very protective while still light and convenient.  Mono and Reunion Blues also make excellent hybrid bag/cases.

Bill, tgo

I had one of those roadrunner cases.  The guitar went across the pacific six times and once to europe.  Never a problem.  Of course, I gate checked it or brought it on board.  (Be kind to stewardesses!) .  Except for the time the Sultan of Brunei's son was bringing carpet back from Hong Kong.  You can't argue with the King's son.  Still, it survived the baggage monkeys unscathed.

Mayfly said:

To be perfectly transparent: Glenn Cronkhite the person is no longer associated with the Glenn Cronkhite company; he sold the company -- or perhaps just the company name? -- to another case/bag manufacturer several years ago.

I have a leather gig bag made by the old company (when Glenn was still running it, maybe 4 or 6 years ago) and it is a phenomenal case, an heirloom quality work of art that will definitely outlive me. At the time it was a bit pricier than robust top-of-the-line gig bags from Mono or ProTec, but not crazy expensive for something that'll last a lifetime. No idea what their current pricing is like.

Back