Eden WT550 or SVT-3PRO?

Mapleg4

Have anyone here tried both an Eden WT550 and an Ampeg SVT-3PRO? I use a MXR M80 and an EMG BTC control for my eq anyway, as well as EMG 35DC pickups so I don't have much need for compression, 9 band eq's etc. I've even considered a heavy, all tube SVT-2PRO as I've heard it or its "Classic" sibling at so many gigs, but I like the Eden WT's as well. I don't want to pay too much for stuff I don't use anyway. I feel stupid when I don't use any eq on the amp itself and so many bass amps have 100 knobs, switches and sliders I have no use for at all.

A friend of mine has an older SVT3-pro.. its cool that it has the eq on the front but if you dont use it i suppose thats no big deal.  It did have a knob with 5 settings that adjusts the tone somehow.  Gave lots of room for experimentation.  I dont know if the new ones have this knob or not.

Mapleg4 said:
Have anyone here tried both an Eden WT550 and an Ampeg SVT-3PRO? I use a MXR M80 and an EMG BTC control for my eq anyway, as well as EMG 35DC pickups so I don't have much need for compression, 9 band eq's etc. I've even considered a heavy, all tube SVT-2PRO as I've heard it or its "Classic" sibling at so many gigs, but I like the Eden WT's as well. I don't want to pay too much for stuff I don't use anyway. I feel stupid when I don't use any eq on the amp itself and so many bass amps have 100 knobs, switches and sliders I have no use for at all.

I have an Eden WP-100 and used to have an Eden WT-330 or some such.  For gigs I use a Markbass LMII.  Nice and simple and loud.  I keep the WP-100 for recording use only.
JBD

I suppose it depends on what you want. For straight ahead old-school rock tones, Ampeg can do the job, but for me they're just too muddy and un-defined. I can't say enough good things about Eden amps (except maybe the 1205, it's had a rocky career thus far). The 550 and 405 are both great amps; the 550 has the tube front end if you're a tube guy, and the 405 has the simpler control set that it sounds like you want. They're both small and light and can load to 2 ohms if you really need to put out a lot of juice (the 550 puts 750w into 2 ohms and weighs something like 13 lbs). While they do have good eq's, I've typically run my Eden stuff flat, as it sounds nice and pure like that. My Tobias has a Bart 3-band onboard, so I do any tone-sculpting on the fly through that.

tfcreative said:
I suppose it depends on what you want. For straight ahead old-school rock tones, Ampeg can do the job, but for me they're just too muddy and un-defined. I can't say enough good things about Eden amps (except maybe the 1205, it's had a rocky career thus far). The 550 and 405 are both great amps; the 550 has the tube front end if you're a tube guy, and the 405 has the simpler control set that it sounds like you want. They're both small and light and can load to 2 ohms if you really need to put out a lot of juice (the 550 puts 750w into 2 ohms and weighs something like 13 lbs). While they do have good eq's, I've typically run my Eden stuff flat, as it sounds nice and pure like that. My Tobias has a Bart 3-band onboard, so I do any tone-sculpting on the fly through that.

I have active ceramic pickups and need a clean (that I don't use very much) that sounds a little warm on the highest strings.
I really like the Eden WT heads because they are so compact!
I like the EDEN E810V4 cab (http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/eseries/e810.aspx) as well.

Eden is certainly clean. While the 405 is a very warm SS head, you would probably still like the tube in the 550 more.

I haven't had a look at the E-series cabs in real life, but I have heard very good things about the the 300T head and the 810 cab.

tfcreative said:

I run all my amps nearly flat.  I might boost a frew a little, like the low-mid, but most of the dials are straight up.  I don't mind having a bunch of controls, like the WP-100, but I will always retreat to flat and make some fixes from there.

Have you ever checked out http://www.basstasters.com?

JBD

Back