dye on walnut

teleme01

dumb question i know,  but wondering if the Simpsons done tried it, 

waiting on a walnut body unfinished,  havent seen it yet so theres that,  but will the walnut take in any stain ,  perhaps yellow or red ,  i know it will still be brown but will it absorb a tint ?

i am thinking of also tinting shellac ... or is the whole plan a "dont do it"

Lots of people have done it...whether Homer did or not who knows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=staining+or+dyeing+walnut&ei=C2FNYfTAI9CbkwWkkLSQBw&oq=staining+or+dyeing+walnut&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BwgAELADEEM6BggAEAcQHjoECAAQDUoECEEYAFD_8QFYkIQCYNGHAmgBcAJ4AIABTIgBigWSAQIxMJgBAKABAcgBCcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwi08quw75bzAhXQzaQKHSQIDXIQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

thanks strat,  when i googled it,  i got videos of people staining other woods the walnut color...  i was searching wrong,  found this one here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwtlEgWAfo  guess i wasnt totally in left field afterall.

Ok,  a short story in the form of a long sentence, yes, im an idiot,  I started by using a yellow dye mixed with alcohol,  then put some red on top of that, leaving the center yellow, sanded back into a sunburst. THEN I tried to lock it in with some wipe on poly and wiped most of it off the top,  didn’t do the back, learned my lesson quickly on the front… sanded most everything off the front but some of the red hung around no matter how much I sanded,  so I got it way back and then switched to boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.  I put that on for a couple of days then sanded most of it back again because it was looking like a mess,  THEN I switched back to wipe on poly and put on tens of coats…  for now I have put on the neck and bridge and strung it up,  gonna play it like this until the strings need changing and then will sand and add more coats ,  or maybe switch to shellac … I figure that will give time for the coats to harden.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 96
more of the transformations

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 96
Personally I wouldn't have tried to dye walnut (it's so pretty as it is) but I think your dye job turned out pretty great!

ragamuffin said:
Personally I wouldn't have tried to dye walnut (it's so pretty as it is) but I think your dye job turned out pretty great!

the back and sides came out alright,  but the top was a fu ... ithink my problem was not using an oil stain as opposed to a dye,  but your right,  should of just clear finished.

Back