Dye and softwood / earlywood /latewood

neverstock

So, last night I learned about latewood and earlywood after attempting to dye my redwood strat body.

It's a nice 1 piece body, and I sanded it to 220. Then hit it with my attempt at an oxblood dye....and the grain lines took up dye almost not at all. Left this very accentuated grain pattern. I initially was going to burst it, but with the grain lines not taking die, I just went dark all over.

There's a bit of an eggplant coloration on the earlywood, and there is a lot of chatoyance to it - it shimmers naturally due to the redwood. Might take an oil finish really well to darken it and light it up.

But I'm sure others have dyed softwood - what did you do about it? Leave it highlighting the grain like this? Or combat that somehow?

Not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 181
I vote for leaving it like it is. I think that would look great with some clear on it.  :icon_thumright:

I'm with PhilHill.  That looks pretty awesome in its own right. 

To respond to the other part of the post:

The only softwood I've dyed has been western red cedar, which I dyed with lemon yellow Behlen Solar-lux.    The cedar was darkish to begin with so the lemon came out as an amber, and I went with it as it was. 

I also agree with Phil. that promenent grain looks quite nice. Clear is all that needs.

Thanks Guys. I took your advice. Put another coat of cordovan dye on, two coats of sealer, sanded back after each one, and one big coat of tru-oil, sanded back almost all the way, and now on with the 2nd coat of tru-oil. Already glossing up a lot.

Not sure where I'm going with this. Don't have pickups, a pickguard, hardware or anything. So now my question is, what do I do with a Bordeaux Strat Hardtail body with natural pimp stripes?

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    714.9 KB · Views: 179
Start a new show called "Pimp My Strat". Seriously, I'm thinking either nickel or gold hardware would really set that off. Maybe just a plain black pickguard or black pearl. :icon_scratch:                                                                           

Man, that's gorgeous. It's almost like a pinstripe suit for your guitar.

I am not so keen on it. I would probably paint it a solid colour. But that is just my opinion.

Back