dumb question: sonic qualities of "laminate top" bodies vs. solid top bodies

buckallred

Sorry for the "noob" question. Here goes:

What is the difference, if any, between the following:

1) a single, solid hunk of wood electric guitar body;

2) two (or 3 or 4!) boards joined together with glue, then finished into a body; and

3) two (or 3 or 4!) boards joined together, then with a thin laminate top (usually "exotic" wood) glued over it.

My question is whether and to what extent various pieces of wood being glued together affects the tonal properties of the instrument.

I mean, exotic wood looks cool, for sure. But does it affect the sound? How would one go about even testing that sort of thing?

The main difference is looks, and if you're lucky, you could get a two-piecer that looks like one piece.
Sounds, I'd say no change. A maple cap might make a difference if it's on an LP or VIP, where it's pretty thick.

+1 to Max, although I'd add (doesnt reallty answer your question....) that the majority of people here would be of the opinion that most of the 'tone shaping' is done with the neck and pickups, and big strings. The body is less of an issue unless you go for chambering

oh yeah, and don't confuse laminate tops, like with the strats and other flattops, and caps, like on Les Pauls and other carved tops. If it's a cap it's thicker and can add some tonal qualities, but laminates will only make a very small difference, if any at all.

Thanks for the replies.

So the difference between a "laminate" and a "cap" is the thickness of the piece of wood, basically? The thicker the "fancy" wood on top of the guitar, the greater the impace that the "laminate/cap" wil affect the tone of the guitar, correct?

I guess I was wondering if the glued-on thin "fancy" wood laminate/cap would dampen or negatively affect the tone of the guitar. Apparently this is not really a consideration?

buckallred said:
Thanks for the replies.

So the difference between a "laminate" and a "cap" is the thickness of the piece of wood, basically? The thicker the "fancy" wood on top of the guitar, the greater the impace that the "laminate/cap" wil affect the tone of the guitar, correct?

I guess I was wondering if the glued-on thin "fancy" wood laminate/cap would dampen or negatively affect the tone of the guitar. Apparently this is not really a consideration?
Correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what everyone is saying, is if you get a guitar with a carved top, and it has a laminate, that laminate will be thick enough to affect the tone.

Any flat-bodied guitar (strat, tele, flat-top LP, etc), the laminate would be too thin.

I DON'T think when ordering you specify cap/laminate. They're just using those terms differentiate between the two concepts.

caps come with carve tops and laminates come with flat tops, but warmoth just calls em all laminates for some reason...

Dude, we've seen dumb questions before and this isn't one of them.  You don't have to tell us your question is dumb, we'll tell you when and if you deserve it.  ;)

Oh, a quick note...
Some people prefer one piece or 3 piece, so that the bridge, pickups, and neck pocket are on a single piece of wood. I doubt any effect that has tonally, but just thought I'd let you know. One piece is more expensive, and looks really cool. 2 piece also looks great, when matched well. Warmoth does a good job lining everything up.

Back