Drive - acoustic cover (quarantine sessions)

new-killer-star

I've been recording my rehearsals a bunch during quarantine, just uploaded an acoustic version of drive by the cars.

mostly here I was messing around with recording / playing uaudio's Luna to see how it compared to Logic and what sort of quality I could get.

This was a single take / two mic setup for vox + acoustic guitar - note this isn't my taylor in the video, it's an old recording king that I've had reworked so that it is playable / listenable.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/BjxBrSIVjO4[/youtube]

Nice. I like the vocal sound you got. And that old Recording King doesn't sound too bad either.  :icon_thumright:

Thank you - I appreciate the kind words.

The Recording King is interesting when I got it hand a bunch of mojo sounded truly awful and was miserable to play.

I kinda took a risk and asked Mike Lull's shop to 'make it right' and after a neck reset, refret, plek, removing the top to have the bracing adjusted and reglued, along with a new nut, bridge and tuners, it sounds pretty good and plays excellently for a 40s catalog guitar.

Those old ones can surprise you. In the 40's even the cheap guitars were built with wood that we wish we could get now. And, if I remember right, Recording King was one of the brands that was actually built by Gibson. During lean times Gibson would build plain no frills guitars and sell them for cheap under various brand names, just to keep business going out the door.

Well I'm pretty sure this one is a Regal - as much as I really wanted a Gibson, I kinda liked the headstock on the Regal made ones better - and it's got a cool star inlay...

I still have to have the pickup that came with it rebuilt and get a new pickguard made

8odkm7A.jpg

9Up2eMU.jpg

yes a DeArmond (not a copy), another reason I picked this particular one up.  My plan is to get it redone and wired with a varitone mounted to the pickguard. It's just on the back burner right now.

new-killer-star said:
yes a DeArmond (not a copy), another reason I picked this particular one up.  My plan is to get it redone and wired with a varitone mounted to the pickguard. It's just on the back burner right now.

Totally cool. I love those guitars from that era. And to get a DaArmond with it!  I am now officially envious... :headbang:

Back