Double bound purple flamed explorer with JTV variax guts

toasterdude

Body ...
Mahogany
Flame Maple Top
Flame Maple Back
Double Bound, Pearloid Binding
Purple Dye, Front & Back
Seymour Duncan P-Rail (Neck) Cream, but soon to be custom shop pearloid                                                               
Seymour Duncan P-Rails Hot (Bridge) Cream but soon to be custom shop pearloid                                                               
JTV Variax Bridge
3 Way Switch
JTV Variax electronics and controls
JTV Variax jack and VDI
Duncan triple shots
JTV Variax knobs
Chrome Knobs with purple pearl caps.
Schaller Straplocks, Gold

Neck …

Warmoth Pro, Flame Maple
Indian Rosewood Fretboard
Clear Gloss
1 11/16" Nut Width
GraphTech White TUSQ
Standard thin
SS6105 Stainless Frets
10-16" Compound Radius
Pearloid diamond Inlay
Planet Waves Tuners, chrome.

JTV Variax Explorer Purpl Flame xplant by toasterdude, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_2268.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 620
me+gugusta.jpg

:eek:  Quality +  :icon_thumright:

Great looking Purple Dye  :toothy10:  only wish mine was like that ....
Love the matching headstock
I got the same pup's with a GK-3 installed on one of my guitars.

I gotta ask ...
Whats that other interesting Purple 8 string in your pic's  ?    :icon_scratch:  a Mandolin
Something you made ?

Both look great

Yeah, I have another purple dyed warmoth and the finish is not even close to similar. I am planning a 3rd and have no idea what the finish will look like. I am swapping the p rails for some custom shop p rails with pearloid covers.

The 8 string instrument also in purple dye is an electric mandolin. It has both piezo and a mag pickup and can be run in stereo. Of course I will need to know more than 4 chords on mandolin to take advantage of that! Built by http://www.manndolins.com/

Updown said:
:eek:  Quality +  :icon_thumright:

Great looking Purple Dye  :toothy10:  only wish mine was like that ....
Love the matching headstock
I got the same pup's with a GK-3 installed on one of my guitars.

I gotta ask ...
Whats that other interesting Purple 8 string in your pic's  ?    :icon_scratch:  a Mandolin
Something you made ?

Both look great

Death by Uberschall said:
Yes!!  :headbang1:

Funny thing. I play a little bit of everything and a lot of nothing. Metal is actually the one style I don't ever really play. I am currently on a reggae kick. Hearing metal coming from that guitar would make sense, but reggae, bachata, country etc?

Yeah, I am weird. . .

Awesome.  Love the dye-job.  I dyed my current build with cordovan TransTint.  Amazing how much depth you can get out of a flat piece of wood with that stuff.

Looks super awesome. Did you do do all the custom control cavity routing yourself? Are you planning on making up and cover plates for them?  :party07:

PaulXerxen (nexrex) said:
Looks super awesome. Did you do do all the custom control cavity routing yourself? Are you planning on making up and cover plates for them?  :party07:

No. I had the routing and build done by GuitarTex in San Antonio. He actually made a cool large one piece cover that covered both control and variax PCB cavities and then had the battery cavity fit inside the large cover. It actually looks better than separate smaller covers. He did it in black. I am torn between keeping it black or redoing in pearloid to match the binding, p rails etc.

Just got some pearloid truss rod covers to try out as well.

I will try and take pics of the back with the control covers when I get back home. I am hoping to get the custom shop p rails soon so I can replace the cream ones. I also had a custom ATA case made and that will be delivered tomorrow. I will have to ship the guitar back to them in the case so they can do the velvet and add a compartment for strap and picks etc.

I will be at Guitar Tex monday or tuesday dropping off a new black JTV 59 and my tele transplant so John can look at how to cram the new "guts" into that purple tele.

Electric mandolins are pretty cool. I have a decent Smith 4-string, it looks just like a shrunk Tele. The string are just like a guitar only backward: GDAE instead of EADG(BE). Except, for some masochistic reason probably hung over from acoustic mandolins played by the Hatfields and McCoys, the strings are ridiculously tight - I tune it down to like EbBbFC or so.

Back