Does warmoth do the BC Rich mockingbird anymore?

Joe1166

Some older post on this site show a mockingbird shape warmoth guitar body. Can a person call warmoth and have mockingbird shape body ordered special?

No, many models have had to be altered or dropped over the years because of trademark concerns, etc.

I. too, have always had a soft spot for the mockingbird.  I own one US BCR mockingbird and one sort-of partscaster one I made from a generic Samick or Cortek body and another generic neck.

The body style has some flaws, like neck dive and the fact that it doesn't like to sit in a lot of stands.  I'd love to see someone make a reverse mockingbird (left handed body with right handed routes or vice-versa), which, I think, would still look nifty and solve some of the neck dive issue (assuming the strap button is located on the tip of the horn).  I'd also love to see one with a beveled cross-section, to cut down a little on weight (which could make the neck dive issue worse).  But sadly, I don't think that there is really a good market for them, especially heavily modified shapes based on the mockingbird.

I cut a MB body off of a template for my own personal use, and I agree with the IP concern as far as further sales of it (though obviously, I have no proof of such being the reason). BCR's designs are so distinctive that there's no way to pass a Mockingbird, Warlock, Beast, or Warbeast off as anything other than a BCR.

On that note, I'm curious as to whether WM's Fender license also covers Jackson products (notably, the V-R and V-K) or whether those specific shapes are "general" enough a la Strats and Teles to pass muster....or, I'm sorry.... "double cutaways" and "single cutaways." ;)

A reverse Mockingbird would be an interesting notion.  I have a MB that was a kit from a different supplier, and I don't have as much problem in neck dive. I placed the strap button right at the neck pocket, just under the heel instead of there it might go at the back of that top arc.  The only weirdness to a rev-MB that I could see is the "hook" that's normally at the top would instead be on the bottom, which makes lap-playing a little more painful. :)

yo i had a BC once upon a time. not to swear, but that thing was a B.I.C.H. to maintain.

nah, lmao thats just a joke i thought of, i never actually owned one

I always wanted a Bich 10 string and a Mockingbird. Had an asian made Bich for just a few days. It was horrible. Sold it and made $50 on the outcome. I should have kept it and worked out the issues (would have been more than $50). It was just so miss-represented, I wanted it gone.

BroccoliRob said:
yo i had a BC once upon a time. not to swear, but that thing was a B.I.C.H. to maintain.

nah, lmao thats just a joke i thought of, i never actually owned one

Not always very comfortable to hold/play either. They have a few models that are real rib-stickers.

The Aaron said:
Not always very comfortable to hold/play either. They have a few models that are real rib-stickers.

Speaking of which, this is a custom I'm working on at the moment.  It's pretty stabby (and definitely inspired by BCR's various designs).  I had to redesign parts of it because I was injuring myself just testing out the template!  Even during routing and sanding, I was getting stabbed! :D

So I guess unintentional self-mutilation ups the metal factor of an instrument....

Attachments

• 2022-04-07 12.48.20 - Copy.jpg
    2022-04-07 12.48.20 - Copy.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 50
NedRyerson said:
Speaking of which, this is a custom I'm working on at the moment.  It's pretty stabby...

I love that! I could see there being a market for that. Mostly GWAR tribute bands, but still...

Back