Do EMG Pickups require soldering?

TexxasJam

Do EMG Pickups require soldering yes or no?  I always had the idea that EMG'a were a sort of "plug and play" set up. I just downloaded the PDF for the EMG SA (which I haven't read completely) and soldering is mentioned. Please help.

The pickups and preamps dont need any, but they do where they connect to the pots and jack.

Blue313 said:
The pickups and preamps dont need any, but they do where they connect to the pots and jack.

True....although...

DG20-bk-detail.jpg

I'm told the solderless connections are new for 2009.  They may not be available retail yet, but they're coming soon........ :blob7:

exalted said:
Blue313 said:

True....although...

DG20-bk-detail.jpg

Is this for real?
I have never seen a more ridiculous thing in my life. Rather than good clean wiring work, people are now resorting to P.O.S.mass produced PCB chips/connectors in their guitars?
I am a big fan of the Line6 Variax, but the whole point was that it's more of an onboard DSP thing than a traditional wiring design.
Why would i want cheap PCB boards on a guitar that is so easy to point-to-point wire with respectable components.  It's not that difficult to solder, and it only costs like $15 for a decent iron and solder from RadioShack.

Of course it's real.

I'm not into EMGs, but I'm a huge computer nerd. This stuff really sings to me. While I don't think I'd build it, the idea of being able to switch out a pickup as easily as a stick of RAM?  :hello2:  :hello2:  :hello2:  :hello2:

StewMac also offers a solder-less prewired pickguard:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/1/Golden_Age_Prewired_Pickguards/Details.html#details

the wires screw in, it seems.

but yes, it takes moments to solder, and it's cheap. And a good skill to learn, especially if you move into building/modding effects.

-erik

Mr. E. said:
StewMac also offers a solder-less prewired pickguard:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/1/Golden_Age_Prewired_Pickguards/Details.html#details

That's a much more respectable approach.
They went with good clean wiring and solder work with the addition of the screw in terminals, rather than P.O.S. PCB crap.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth, though probably not a bad idea for mass-produced midrange and lower guitars

jay4321 said:
probably not a bad idea for mass-produced midrange and lower guitars

Even $50 pawn shop guitars have properly wired and soldered connections...

I've never actually seen a guitar wired with a good star ground scheme from a factory. I just put EMG's in my SG and find all the negative claims to be untrue. As far as a PCB a well laid out pcb is a good as anything else.

line6man said:
Is this for real?
I have never seen a more ridiculous thing in my life. Rather than good clean wiring work, people are now resorting to P.O.S.mass produced PCB chips/connectors in their guitars?
I am a big fan of the Line6 Variax, but the whole point was that it's more of an onboard DSP thing than a traditional wiring design.
Why would i want cheap PCB boards on a guitar that is so easy to point-to-point wire with respectable components.  It's not that difficult to solder, and it only costs like $15 for a decent iron and solder from RadioShack.

it's called manufacturing "touch time" in some industries. a company utilizing CNC roughed bodies has a tolerance that is tighter than any person could do by hand, and the next logical step is to incorporate all of the control into a circuit board so that there is zero hand soldering - which only increases accuracy and consistency while simultaneously reducing the reject rate and cost per unit.

this form of guitar building is being driven all the wankers who embrace the whole $199 off-shore guitar industry and complain that $750 is too much for a US hand-made  guitar. the people are merely getting what they're asking for

I'll note that when done right this can be a very good thing ... but when done purely for cost cutting, it initiates a decadant spiral that will eventually hurt those who implement this technology with a cheaper-is-better mindset

all the best,

R

Here's an example of a board done right for Strats with many wiring options plus EMI protection built in. The EMG board looks like a knockoff of their design since I saw this first at the Namm show. Read about it for yourself.
www.santellansounds.com

ts_str1_w_pickups_master.jpg

The Tone Shaper is pretty cool.  I checked that out at NAMM myself.  I think it is cool that you can try out new wiring techniques without having to solder.  If you have already done a lot of different wiring setups and you know what you like, then it's not for you.  But if you're just learning or trying to find out what sounds you can get out of your guitar, I think it's a great product.  If and when I build a strat, I'll probably get one.

A press release on the EMG site from earlier this year claims that all EMG components will be "solder-free" by the end of the year ('09).  Apparently they are starting with the Pro series (strat pre-loaded pick-guards endorsed by various artists) & the new "X" series pickups.  More to follow.  So stay tuned.......... :blob7:

From my experiences the Strat sets are prewired.  I've had a set of SV's and 2 different sets of SA/SA/81's.  Things like the 2 HB sets and single PU's will need some solder experience just because of the different switch options (3 way blade vs. Gibson 3 way) and different pot options. (1 vol 1 tone, 2 vol 2 tone)

Back