DIY pedalboards: let's see em!

thebutcher85

I made myself a cheapo, home-use pedalboard, anyone else have a DIY pedalboard you'd like to show off?  :headbang:
pedalboard.jpg

I have all your pedals except the phaser and lpb. Of course I modded my DS-1 so it's a different beast.  :laughing7:

What'd you do to your bad monkey? I like mine just for a normal overdrive and I'm curious what you added to it.

:kewlpics:

I did the Wampler "classic" mod to my DS-1, it's a completely different animal now, I love it! There's a mod for the bad monkey that gives slightly more clarity, instead of just changing the values I put the switch in to go from stock mode to modded easily. It doesn't change the tone much at all, just gives a *hint* of more clarity, it's actually my favorite pedal ever, sounds great on it's own, or as a boost on my dirty channel for a bit more grind and cutting-edge. I sold the LPB, it was crappy! (for me and my uses at least, just didn't do it for me)

FWIW I use a LPB AFTER my ODs and Dist pedals to drive the tube pre of my amplifier, and I think it sounds best in this configuration. For a box with just one knob and such a low price and small footprint, it makes an awesome transparent sounding booster. Of course this is with my new one. I think they've changed the design slightly. I had an old one that wasn't nearly as loud and sounded muddier. Even then I thought it was worth replacing after I broke it so I was pleasantly surprised when I had more boost capacity and cleaner tone. Try out a new one if you get the chance!

Yeah, that's how I used the LPB, after my other OD pedals into my Orange AD30, it just wasn't to my liking, I wouldn't mind trying a new one though, the one I had was used, so who knows what went on with it before I acquired it.

I have my DS1 modded to the Wampler Vintage specs and it sounds incredible. Grinding, chewy, slightly higher gain than a plexi, it's a phenomenal solo tone into any clean amp and it's painfully easy to get that tone. I think I've seen that mod for the Bad Monkey. If it's that good, I might need to try it. It's just a couple different tone caps, right? I read somewhere about a mod to give it harder clipping. I'd be interested in trying that out since it's a pretty solid pedal already for normal smooth overdrives and more of a modern alt grinding lead sound.

Very clean stuff Avenger, I like the cable guide a lot. What effects does it control and where do you keep them?

bad photo and very unfinished. but you get the idea

Attachments

• P9301500.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 394
Here's mine:
n517473612_683608_1666.jpg

n517473612_683609_2089.jpg

n517473612_683610_2883.jpg

n517473612_689142_3261.jpg

n517473612_689143_3565.jpg

n517473612_689149_5382.jpg

And this is how i've had it set up lately:

74583_446455048612_517473612_5423537_8296099_n.jpg

33693_446455118612_517473612_5423541_7148323_n.jpg

148850_457513318612_517473612_5584665_3728302_n.jpg

All things said and done it cost me about 70 dollars to build.  But that included materials left over to build more later.  I already built one just like it for a friend.
I got the velcro from the guy that makes the Lyt Pedalboards.  He has some secret supplier that I didn't feel like finding.  It was really good quality velcro.  Stole his design, but made it my own. That and he uses MDF and this is Fir.
150385_457513378612_517473612_5584667_3426357_n.jpg

In one band I play with, this is my entire rig....no amp...just this.

Attachments

• Myboard2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 551
I really should look more into that thing....

Question regarding your wireless unit on top there - how is it when you switch guitars?  Do you have two transmitters?  How does it work?

Mayflown said:
I really should look more into that thing....

Question regarding your wireless unit on top there - how is it when you switch guitars?  Do you have two transmitters?  How does it work?
In that band, I switch between electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass and they all have independent systems. I don't believe I could have two transmitter packs on at the same time with one receiver but I actually haven't needed to try it yet. Very happy with the realistic guitar amp tones I have FOH. We live in amazing times don't we?

kboman said:
Very clean stuff Avenger, I like the cable guide a lot. What effects does it control and where do you keep them?

Pretty simple rig. The MIDI controller controls my 1994 Alesis Quadraverb Plus, which I use for Delay, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, and other miscellaneous stuff. I like the tones, and it's super quiet (I hate extras "hiss"). The only pedals are a Morley "Bad Horsie" wah, and a Keeley-modified TS-9 Tube Screamer that is used mostly just for a Lead boost, or if I want just a little "dirt" on the Clean channel.

Everything runs through a PedalSnake™ , including the wireless, which is currently an old Samson unit, but it's giving me problems, so I'm gonna get a new Line 6 G90 Pro. Everything on the pedal board is also powered by a PedalSnake™ power supply located in the back of the rack. It's dead quiet.

My preamp has multiple Effects Loops, so I run all the Q-verb effects into the main loop, and I run a BBE Sonic Maximizer into the Clean loop only. It seems to make the Cleans sound a little "cleaner".

I don't use Velcro. Everything is screwed down onto the board.

Mayflown said:
Gregg said:

Hey Gregg!  who makes that thing?  SKB or Gator?
That's a SKB but it's been a long time since they made them. One of the other guitar players in my band has the same pedal board loaded with a JMP1 and effect units. It's a stand alone system too that he uses direct. Kind of just looks like we have monitor wedges in front of us, but we use in ears.

Gregg said:
Mayflown said:
Gregg said:

That's a SKB but it's been a long time since they made them. One of the other guitar players in my band has the same pedal board loaded with a JMP1 and effect units. It's a stand alone system too that he uses direct. Kind of just looks like we have monitor wedges in front of us, but we use in ears.

No wonder I could not find the thing on either website (grumble).  If you have the time, can you look at it and give me a product name/number?  I need something to search eBay with.

BTW - yes I decided I want to buy one.

Mayflown said:
Gregg said:
Mayflown said:
Gregg said:

No wonder I could not find the thing on either website (grumble).  If you have the time, can you look at it and give me a product name/number?  I need something to search eBay with.

BTW - yes I decided I want to buy one.

SKB-100

Back