distortion

rounce55

in your opinion, what is a TOP quality distortion bridge pickup? and not an invade i already have on of those

I'm guessing you want it for super saturated metal tones right?  In that case, I'd go with a Dimarzio Steve's Special.  It's a ceramic magnet pickup for tight lows and searing highs with LOTS of output, but it is wired in such a way that it does not have the overbearing midrange that most all "hot" pickups have. This keeps your tone nice and clear with no muddy midrange that you have to scoop out.  Couple it with a good PAF style pickup in the neck (like the Air Norton) for great, crunchy rhythm tones from the bridge pickup and smooth, fluid lead tones in the neck.

-Rose

I think I can safely say that EMG's work very well for distortion applications, considering how many metal bands use them, particularly the 81/85 combo.

Well in that case, Dave Mustaine has used Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups in his guitars for years, so that could work for you.

I'm a Dimarzio Super Distortion fan.  My guitars have Duncans, Bartolinis, GFS, EMG, and Dimarzio pickups on them.  The Super Distortion was my first aftermarket pickup and I pretty much compare all others to it.  The EMG's are nice for distortion, but they don't have as much low end and are compressed and to me lack dynamics.  My Duncan JB is a good pickup, but a little to brittle and "crunchy" for me.  The Bartolini PBF 77 is their "distortion" pickup and has a good amount of grind to it but still has a sweet, fat tone also. 

Back