Direct mounted humbuckers, screws?

aprilia1k said:
There _is_ a semi-new product called "PMS!" which stands for "Pickup Mounting Sytem".  It consists of a semi-flat, solid-brass piece that HAS the threads for your hummy machine screws.  It mounts flush to pickup route (obv. under pickup) - simple and brilliant.. It solves the problem of "machine versus wood screw", etc..  with it's design.

Don't you lose the ability to ever mount the humbucker back into a ring in case you swap pickups?  I've heard that it strips out the threads in the baseplate of the humbucker, rather than using smaller screws that won't interfere with existing threads.

I didn't see this last night when I was checking back here, sorry!
As for the thread-stripping:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
aprilia1k said:
There _is_ a semi-new product called "PMS!" which stands for "Pickup Mounting Sytem".  It consists of a semi-flat, solid-brass piece that HAS the threads for your hummy machine screws.  It mounts flush to pickup route (obv. under pickup) - simple and brilliant.. It solves the problem of "machine versus wood screw", etc..  with it's design.

Don't you lose the ability to ever mount the humbucker back into a ring in case you swap pickups?  I've heard that it strips out the threads in the baseplate of the humbucker, rather than using smaller screws that won't interfere with existing threads.

That's a good question - and I am not sure at all, but - I know that I've seen people being concerned about using the "single-coil method", i.e. a self-tapping wood screw, that the wood screw would chew up the machine threads right?  I mean, I guess that's the impetus for this post and others like it.  Now - since this PMS device uses a regular machine screw, iirc, and IF it is a size that fits the pickup baseplate's thread too... it kinda seems that it might just _work_ to me...  like putting two nuts on a machine screw, only in this case there might be some foam and/or tubing to keep them from making contact and applying the stress that a locknut might do...  hmmmm.  I'm mostly guessing here - but I do not see the same issues for a machine screw and a pair of machine threads (pickup baseplate and the PMS in the rout) that I see for the wood-screw case.    It would be nice to have the device to test with, heh..  I don't know for sure - I just don't picture the thread getting chewed up badly, if that is the way they work.  Cheers TonyFlyingSquirrel (awesome name btw)
SSF

Well, I use humbucker ring mounting screws since they're quite a diameter less than the original machine screw.  I've been using them for years for direct mounting humbuckers, and have swapped some out for others before.  A lil super glue down in the hole keeps the hole tough and tapped when direct mounting to wood, and I haven't had a problem putting humbuckers that were once direct mounted back into a mounting ring with their original machine screw.

You're better off going metric for this.  M2 machine screws go right through the pickup mount holes without having to drill them out and M2 inserts are available.

Full disclosure, I've always just used wood screws and foam with zero issues for the past 20 somethin' years.  But, I just wanted to try my own reccomendation.  M2 inserts with M2 machine screws.  Pickup legs do not need to be drilled out and I used small plastic washers to set the pickup height.  Will probably submit this one for Sep GOM  :eek:ccasion14:

GLJaU0G.jpg

@wolfie351, looks a neat job. Where did you source the M2 inserts etc from ?

For height surgical tubing would also be an option.

stratamania said:

I wanted a solid mount, no wiggle whatsoever.  But, like I said, I'll just go back to wood screws and foam...just wanted to try it.  Got the inserts on Amazon

Wolfie351 said:
stratamania said:

I wanted a solid mount, no wiggle whatsoever.  But, like I said, I'll just go back to wood screws and foam...just wanted to try it.  Got the inserts on Amazon

Ok thanks. Just mentioned the option as a possibility for others.

I used wood screws and springs on mine. If I had it to do over, I'd try to do threaded machine-screw inserts. I drilled out the screw holes in the pickup legs. I don't care about that as I'll never need to mount the pickup in a ring or pickguard.

Attachments

• 160020c.JPG
    160020c.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 573
Sorry to bring an old thread back up, but I'm looking to direct mount a humbucker soon.  I saw a thread in another forum where someone suggested mounting a humbucker baseplate in the bottom of the cavity, then using regular screws and springs between the holes in it and the pickup above.

ScottZ said:
Sorry to bring an old thread back up, but I'm looking to direct mount a humbucker soon.  I saw a thread in another forum where someone suggested mounting a humbucker baseplate in the bottom of the cavity, then using regular screws and springs between the holes in it and the pickup above.

That is another approach and there is also a more expensive option from FuTone called a PMS pickup mounting system.

stratamania said:
ScottZ said:
PMS pickup mounting system.

I almost spit out my ranch when I read dis. double entendre much? Lol

PMS gives me headache... so I'll try the M2 way

They are cheap on AliExpress, and free shipping. I've just ordered this M2 Thread Inserts:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897376497.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3cb64c4dNA2yNk

And this M2 screws:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000218933147.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3cb64c4dNA2yNk

For not damaging the original screws hole , as it can be changing to others guitar or reselling.

I use two bigger wood screw (size like on Pickguards) on side , but this not easy to get into it to work on .

index.php

Later I found some very thin wood screw around 1.8 ~ 2 mm , so it can be get through the original screws hole, use sponge under humbuckers .

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• woodmount1.jpg
    woodmount1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 671
  • woodmount2.jpg
    woodmount2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 602
  • woodmount3.jpg
    woodmount3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 607