Dimarzio "Tone Zone"...

The DiMarzio® Tone Zone® pickup has excellent grip and concentration, with the stuffing to evolve for 2-3 years and acquire additional complexity. It should provide unrivalled character now through 2021. With a brooding bouquet of the finest oxygen-free copper wire, advanced plastic coil forms, precise magnetic fields exerted by cryogenically-treated scientifically alloyed pole pieces, exotic electrical insulation materials, and pure virgin paraffin potting, combined with surgically exact dimensional specifications, the Tone Zone® informs the ear of a dense, rich, concentrated, lively character with a firm midrange structure, impeccable balance, and a lengthy, pure finish. Notes are followed by a layered, loaded, presence rarely experienced from this genre. Give this satin-textured, plush pickup some time to age, and you will be rewarded with a succulent tone that craftily combines elegance and power. Or something.

Cagey said:
The DiMarzio® Tone Zone® pickup has excellent grip and concentration, with the stuffing to evolve for 2-3 years and acquire additional complexity. It should provide unrivalled character now through 2021. With a brooding bouquet of the finest oxygen-free copper wire, advanced plastic coil forms, precise magnetic fields exerted by cryogenically-treated scientifically alloyed pole pieces, exotic electrical insulation materials, and pure virgin paraffin potting, combined with surgically exact dimensional specifications, the Tone Zone® informs the ear of a dense, rich, concentrated, lively character with a firm midrange structure, impeccable balance, and a lengthy, pure finish. Notes are followed by a layered, loaded, presence rarely experienced from this genre. Give this satin-textured, plush pickup some time to age, and you will be rewarded with a succulent tone that craftily combines elegance and power. Or something.

Cagey, you shouldn't post when you've been drinking and reading Wine Spectator.  People are liable to get the idea you're some sort of smartass.  Which is better by far than dumbass, buts still...

leopard-butters-stotch.jpg

Oh, hamburgers! I'm gonna get grounded for sure!

Cagey said:

You kill me.  :laughing11:

...and pure virgin paraffin potting...

I've always preferred my paraffin a little slutty - the low-end bounce, tooth a la fin de siecle when you don't expect it, gristle with your cream and unified string separation. Blooming crunch and growling ass - a grind without girthy meat is a dry spank indeed.

Street Avenger said:
What do you guys think of it?

I've got one that used to live in the bridge position of my ex-VIP.  It has LOADS of low end and mated extremely well with the Air Norton in the neck.  I set it up my amp up for a clear, smooth neck pickup lead tone, and when I switched to the bridge pickup, the massive bass response made for a warm, full bodied crunch with the tone control rolled back to around 7 or 8ish.

ORCRiST said:
Coulda swore they wound them with a sprinkle of hooker dust somewhere in there too....  :glasses9:

No, you're thinking of the good ol' standby - the SH4 "JB" humbuckers. They not only had the hooker dust, it was incorporated with the slutty paraffin used to pot the things. Those pickups are nice Nice NICE! Real crowd pleasers.

dudesweet157 said:
Street Avenger said:

I've got one that used to live in the bridge position of my ex-VIP.  It has LOADS of low end and mated extremely well with the Air Norton in the neck.  I set it up my amp up for a clear, smooth neck pickup lead tone, and when I switched to the bridge pickup, the massive bass response made for a warm, full bodied crunch with the tone control rolled back to around 7 or 8ish.

Cool. I think that's what I am looking for on one of my guitars (not the Warmoth).

B3Guy said:
dudesweet157 said:
Street Avenger said:
mated extremely well with the Air Norton in the neck

geez . . . what the heck kinda child ddi you get outa that fornication?!

A Dimarzio "Tone Norton".  It's got a huge, fat, saggy bottom end, a top that's blown way out of proportion and the middle isn't too bad at first until you really spank it.  Then it sort of rolls over the bottom and jiggles like a Wal-Mart grocery store plastic bag full of the fatty bits of twenty two dead baby seals when you poke it with a stick.  It never went into production because during the test trials, eleven out of ten guitarists started vomiting uncontrollably whenever they tried to play Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen, but if you call Dimarzio and ask really nicely and sign a waver stating that you won't sue them if it causes you to want to try to chop off your very own pecker [as opposed to OPPs (other people's peckers)] with a rusty No. 2 Philips head screwdriver then they will make you one for the low, low price of one hundred and seventy two and a half dollars and forty three cents.

5 ALARM CHILI

2 lb. ground beef
8 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz. water
6 tbsp. ground chili pepper
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground oregano
1 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1 1/2 tsp. minced onion
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch

Brown meat in large saucepan. Add tomato sauce and water. Mix well. Stir in all spices, and simmer. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with some warm water to make a paste. Add paste to chili and stir. Allow chili to simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.

DEGREES OF HEAT - CAYENNE PEPPER:

1/4 teaspoon = mild; 3/4 teaspoon = 1 alarm, spicy; 1 1/2 teaspoon = 2 alarms, hot; 2 teaspoons = 3 alarms, very hot; 3 teaspoons = 4 alarms, very, very hot.

This is actually pretty close to what I do, except more onion, lots more. And start browning the diced onion first with some chopped bacon, then add the meat and garlic together and brown it thoroughly then deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar and the can of chopped tomatoes (the brown sugar towards the end counteracts the vinegar - ANY tomato dish can benefit from an enhancement to the natural sweet/sour nature of the tomato) ----- Wait a minute, he doesn't do ANY of that.
CORNSTARCH!?!?  :blob7: 1 1/2 tsp. minced onion?!? Try one entire medium onion and brown the stuffing out of it.
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic? Try a big fudging GOB of it, like 4 heaping tablespoons! And you can put some beer or bourbon into it, if there's any lying around that you don't...

Hey, this recipe SUCKS.  :blob7: :toothy10: :cool01: :dontknow: :cool01: :toothy10: :blob7:

Okay, well I put it in one of my Super-Strats with a Floyd, and.........I don't like it.

The Lead tones are nice & fat, with good sustain and overtones, but the rhythm stuff sounds like mud. I typically prefer low to medium-output pickups, but wanted to get a little more bass since the Floyd is somewhat lacking in that area. Well it's too much bass, not enough highs, and it's just too damn loud -- especially when playing clean parts.

So now what? A Duncan JB? Put my Screamin' Demon back in??

Well, you already know that when you neanderthalically overwind the basic Gibson humbuckney pattern, it all turns to sludge. So yeah, a much lower-wound nupper like a JB, '59 or something is always going to give a more balanced tone*,  then you get the debonin' shimshallies FROM YOUR AMP.

Unless - if want to go with a clean yet POWERFUL hombookie pickup, you have to change gears and go with something that works with different inductances and all, the Bill Lawrence L500XL is the granddaddy, then there are Lace, Harmonic Design, Alumitone... even the EMGHz pickups are a good dual-blade, clean loud puppy. Bear in mind that these all have a lot of power and a lot of highs, which will mean you have to dick with amp settings and/or wire some resistance in there, which basically emasculates them enough to match another pickup. Without separate volume controls for each pickup the don't play nice with others. A Lawrence L500 with the guitar volume at "5" could be mistaken for a PAF, easily.

*(what *balanced tone" means in guitaron-speak is "all midrange".) :laughing3:

Back