Dimarzio Evolution

brandonr

Hi Everybody,
I felt compelled to share my humble opinion of this pickup. I put it in the bridge of my latest project and absolutely hate it. The sound is thin and very lifeless. Think Kurt Hammet on Metallica's black album.
Let me establish that its in a swamp ash strat.
The fact that I bought the thing is obviously my fault. Hello Steve Vai!
With that said I will say this. If you are a shredder and thats all you want to do with this pickup it would be a dream. The harmonics scream and it can certainly cut through any rhythm section. Nails Randy Rhode's tone to a tee.

If you want this thing give me a shout. We can work a deal. I know this its not staying in my guitar.

Take it easy,
Brandon

My experience with the pick up has been in the NECK position.  I found it very versitile.  One guitar is mahogany and the other is black korina, and they both produce very warm tones but still able to achieve defined harmonics.  It is also a much lower output that the evo bridge.

If you can swap...try the Breed bridge...I found this PU very versitile too...offering EMG type CHUG when distorted, and classic almost p-90 tone when clean.  The clip on dimarzio does not do it justice.

if you can tolderate the playing...here are some tones as I am working thru learning some classic zep...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuqRyjLYCK4[/youtube]

I bought a Dimarzio DP116 strat pickup to put in my next Warmoth Tele build, its suppose to have a 14.97 k output.... does anyone know anything about this pickup?

yeah if you've had it for under 30 days (or even a bit over 30 days, they haven't been too stiff with me) they'll exchange for anything w/ a comparable price.
What kind of sounds are you going for?

Obviously, Steve Vai has great tone, but a friend of mine installed the Evolution in the bridge position of a mahogany-bodied Ibanez, and I didn't like the sound of it. It sounded "harsh" to my ears, and too gainy. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste...

yeah Steve's sound and style are really unique and not necessarily versatile for use in different context. And each piece of gear he uses has been specially tailored to his needs along the way, so i feel like the Evos are a one-trick pony and i wouldn't recommend them to someone unless they were really after that exact sound

BoyNashville said:
I bought a Dimarzio DP116 strat pickup to put in my next Warmoth Tele build, its suppose to have a 14.97 k output.... does anyone know anything about this pickup?

I had one and did not like it at all. It had no power, and it sounded muddy. If you disconnect one of the coils, it sounds just like a vintage Strat pickup (but then it hums, of course).

Back