Did anyone see the threat video?

RosamondEdge

***If the mods remove this, I understand.***

This post is about a video that was pulled down, but it caused a fuss.
What is this video that a particular company (or their spokesman) put out last week?

"Authentic" my middle foot! I have seen things and traded stories with guys in shops about cheap guitars. Parts made with Chinese pot-metal made from an amalgam of metals that some CCP screw found in a pile that morning. Mostly scrap from the USA: drink cans, toasters, zinc, tin, some plastic, and a dead cat. I saw a guy in a shop break a tailpiece, with little force, because they made it out of cheap stuff. The wood comes from the bingo tree or the demolition pile, but they will call it something like "Utah Mahogany" or something stupid to keep the name Mahogany on the tag. It sounds and plays as it came off of a picket fence somewhere, but they will sell it to you for under $1,000.00

You can get a good one, but you will have to mortgage your house or sell a kidney to get one. There is one LP that I liked, but it cost $12,000.00! The rest of the cheaper ones feel like the acoustics that my grandfather used to buy down in Mexico (TJ). I have made guitars, and I know what excellent craftsmanship is (Check out Warmoth). This company did not make my LP, but it kicks like a mule through my amplifier, and I made it for around $1,500.00 in 2007. It is the guitar that I wanted, and I love it.

I have studied some of this company's claims, and they are far from the first company to put an open-book shape on their headstocks. There are banjo companies that have done it longer than they have. There are civil war era instruments that have the book-shape on the headstock, and Disney might have something to say about those "mouse ears" of theirs. Are they going after libraries for their open book shapes?

Screwing over companies like PRS and Warmoth is not going to win this company friends and influence people. They send out cease-and-desist letters to scare guitar and parts makers, but no judge or jury from sea to shining sea will side with them. Companies should go to court, win the case in court, and counter-sue them into the ground for libel, damages, and expenses. PRS is already a precedent case, and this company needs to stop playing the boogyman.
There are hundreds of little shops and luthiers that make a better product, and this company is doubling down on Stupid, Dumb, and Foolish (the law firm of the desperate and incompetent).

If they half their prices and tripled their QT, the people would buy their guitars, but they are selling to the same people that went to Woodstock. Slash is the last of the great guitarists known for their LPs, and his famous guitar was a copy too! -- Most people do not know that. This company is only a name as of late. Unless they sell to the younger people in high school, they are going to need the Ouija board to reach their customer base.

The public drives the market and selling guitars made in the USA, with parts made in the USA, for $6000.00 (plus tax) is not going to inspire the next generation of Rockers, punks, and Shredders. They cannot afford to buy a quality instrument on the money that they make flipping burgers. The reason that EDM and other prefab music is popular with the teens and college crowd is that it is cheap to produce, and kids can make it in their bedrooms or a garage for near-free. They used to play guitars in bands, but the kids have to either, buy a guitar made in Cheap-as-crap-a-stan, or save up the $7,000.00 to buy the US made LP like the one that guy that their grandparents used to listen to would play in the 1970s.

On a personal note, I play left-handed guitars because of a car crash. This company frequently throws the left-handed guitar players under the bus when it comes to selection and quality, or they charge us over $5,000.00 to have something functional. I go to other companies because I want a higher-end model with the cool features and designs that never make it to the left-handed models. The signature guitars are mostly right hand only, and I would love to switch, but my left hand is only able to strum and pick (I have to use a brace). A few years back, I worked a day job with Les Paul's granddaughter (super nice girl), and she told me that he gave me his blessing before he died because she had told him about what I was doing and liked it. This company needs to do a 180 and change their philosophy and business model.

Note: I left out the name of the company, but we know who it is, and it seems that they are up to old habits again, and I do not wish to cause trouble, but I wanted to voice what some of us are thinking.

TLDR but already a thread about it.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30803.0

Much ado about nothing. And if we believe the old adage 'There's no such thing as bad publicity' well they have it all over now.

stratamania said:

Much ado about nothing. And if we believe the old adage 'There's no such thing as bad publicity' well they have it all over now.

Thank you, I will repost this over there as well.

RosamondEdge said:
stratamania said:

OK welcome to the forum by the way.

Do you do any guitar assembly? If so get involved...

stratamania said:
RosamondEdge said:
stratamania said:

Oh yeah, I love my LP, and I have made a few over the years, but I had to sell of a lot of them and gear to pay for grad school. I plan on setting up a shop in the near future.

OK welcome to the forum by the way.

Do you do any guitar assembly? If so get involved...

Back