describe feel of WENGE fretboard, please

JonBot

I notice more wenge necks and fretboards in the showcase lately. I've only seen wenge as a raw slab in a shop. It seemed very coarse-grained. Can anyone describe what it feels like to play on- especially the fretboard aspect. A-and, what the heck- go ahead and tell us how it sounds, too- thx

Wenge is indeed very open-grained, but it's hard as bejeezus, and slick under the hands.  So you get the raw feel from the grain not being sealed, but it's very very smooth feeling nevertheless. 

Makes a bigger difference on the shaft of the neck than on the fingerboard, unless you're really mashing your strings against the board, in which case, lighten up, dude, you'll be abe to play faster and fatigue will set in slower if you don't strangle it so hard.

Hope this helps -

Bagman

line6man said:
bagman67 said:
Wenge is indeed very open-grained, but it's hard as bejeezus

No, Wenge is only 1630 on the Janka scale. (According to Google.)

Hey, line6man - I concede the objective hardness measurement, and I see that (generically named) rosewood clocks in at 1780.  My answer was  from a subjective "feel" standpoint, in accordance with which  I find the wenge to feel slicker/harder than the rosewood, despite its more evident porosity.

Separately, I may well be the only guy on God's green earth who doesn't like rosewood boards on electric guitars (my Martin is another story). 

In any case, thanks for illuminating my lack of clarity.

Bagman

Just from looking at the grain of wenge I thought it would be coarse, but after reading all the replys, I decided to buy one and I'm glad I did.  It's the smoothest and fastest neck of any of my guitars.  Plays like butter!  You won't be dissapointed.

I had a Warwick bass that had a wenge neck and fingerboard, and I have to say it was one of the slickest necks I have ever played.  Even when you get sweaty under stage lights, it stays smooth.  As far as tone goes, it adds a nice midrange "bark" to a bass; so I would imagine it would add the same quality to a guitar.

I for one am very glad I don't own a single instrument that "plays like butter." Think about it; if absolutely need be go to the fridge and get some out and... well, play with it. :dontknow:

stubhead said:
I for one am very glad I don't own a single instrument that "plays like butter." Think about it; if absolutely need be go to the fridge and get some out and... well, play with it. :dontknow:

It's not for everyone, but if you're into butter play, it can get pretty kinky. :doh:

line6man said:
stubhead said:

It's not for everyone, but if you're into butter play, it can get pretty kinky. :doh:

Don't knock it 'till you try it!  :laughing8:

But the hours... weeks... months... years of grueling practice, alone in your room, till you get good enough to go onstage and "play it for pay": not to mention the horrendous laundry bills.  :icon_scratch:

(i jes gets my moms to do my laundry, buy sum more butter too plz moms weer out again) :blob7:

Back