Delivery Any Day Now (All Finished)

Story so far with small modifications to body dye: (Nothing is fixed, still got grain filler and sanding sealer / lacquer to do)

Whole%20Guitar.jpg

A bit of opinion needed here guys. How much do you think it's going to darken when I cellulose lacquer this, with one layer of sanding sealer first?  :blob7:

Generally speaking, "clear" coats, by definition, don't darken anything. They just change the way the light reflects off the surface and add some protection. There's probably a way to quantify it, but I don't know what it is. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. You gotta put it on there anyway, so just eat it and smile. What choice do you have?

Probably not much any time soon, unless you store it in a sunlit room.  Lacquer doesn't have much color right out of the can - the darkening comes with age.  There are modern "water white" lacquer products that don't even yellow.  If you know what it looks like wet, you know pretty much what the color will be once finished.

Here's a picture of a Mahogany body that's just been wiped with Naphtha...

IMG_2344_Sm.JPG

That stuff is as clear as city tap water. But, it changes the way the light refracts/reflects. Oddly enough, you won't get as severe a reaction from a stained part. So, it's kinda tough to say where you're going to end up. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed, though.

OK Guys, thanks, that's reassuring. I didn't want it to darken as a whole but I am expecting the grain to 'pop' when I lacquer and polish.

OK, not the most spectacular thing to photograph, but a piece of wood (3mm thick ash) none the less! This is to make the control cavity panels which will be fitted screwless with magnets.

Piece%20Of%20Wood.jpg

Love the way it' looking so far.I love green way to much here.But I have to ask this why do most people put on black.The sanding part I do understand.I'm going to be working soon with hunter green stain.My wife and I both love the color of hinter green.I will get to see it and play my guitar when all is done just wish she was still with me and not up in heaven.At one time I was going to order a carvin guitar not anymore.I want to do it my self it will give me something to do and hope to be happy with the way it will turn out.Besides carvin does not offer the color hunter green.I know what I want and it's got to be a Telecaster guitar as fa as I care it will be one even if it don't have the name Fender on it lol.I have most of the parts pick out that I want on it but I'm still working on my speaker cabinet here it's a 4 x 12.I am so glad I found Warmoth  site.And this chat forum.

KDC1956 said:
... I have to ask this why do most people put on black.

Applying black dye to figured wood then sanding it off makes the grain much more obvious. Apply any color you want after that. Without the black, the figuring won't be as prominent. Sometimes that's what you want, but usually not. Figured wood is expensive, so you want to make it pop. It's usually more attractive that way, which is supposedly why you would use a figured wood.

Not sure if this thread should go to Work In Progress or somewhere other than here now as it is no longer out of the box!

Covers polished and fitted, rear sprayed but not finished.

The magnets worked really well, they are tiny! There are four 3mm X 0.5mm holding the main plate and three of the same holding the selector switch plate. The same magnets are mounted in the body. They are surprisingly powerful. It was fun getting the poles correct when gluing them in! There is then one central larger one to aid removing the cover using a custom tool (to be made!). I don't envisage removing them very often. I have also seen on the web site they do magnetic tape as well, so I may try that next time.

http://www.first4magnets.com/

BodyBack.jpg

Back