delete

I haven't been impressed with anything that PRS has done in quite a while.  I catch a lot of crap from PRS fans around me, but i know my instrument is better suited to my personal taste, in tone, cosmetics and playablilty.  I just can't beleive some of PRS' prices, I went all out on my Warmoth (about $2500) and have yet to see a PRS of the same price that even slightly compares.

As a PRS guy originally I'll stand up and say that short of going the custom route (which we obviously all have) PRS guitars are hands down the best you can buy at Guitar Center or any other major retailer. Not only are they responsible for all of us putting beautiful "fiddleback" tops on our guitars but they are some of the most beautiful, solid, playable, well designed production guitars ever built (though I did swap out the HFS and Vintage Bass pickups in mine for a set of Gibson BurstBuckers).

Now that they are building tens of thousands of guitars every year the tops aren't as face melting as they were a decade ago but take a look at the Private Stock and those are easily the equal or superior of anything that Warmoth offers. It's true that a starting price of $10,000.00 is shocking but having played a few I can say that if any guitars are worth that much money they are the ones.

If your budget is in the $2500.00 range check out the comparison reviews Guitar Player did a few months back (the one with Slash on the cover I think) of a $2500.00 PRS Sinclecut vs. a $6000.00 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. The PRS won hands down!

A custom guitar vs. a production model is an apples/oranges comparison but in a fair fight the PRS will win every time.

koshersteel said:
Not only are they [PRS] responsible for all of us putting beautiful "fiddleback" tops on our guitars

Huh??  Gibson was putting flame maple tops on LPs in the '50s.  Like, around the time Paul Reed Smith was born (I'm guessing).

Edit: But I liked the rest of your post :)

I think what kosher means is that gibson never really got into crazy dye and really deep flame and stuff - PRS really did expand the scope of guitar finishing from what I can tell. Lots of guys on here are playing stuff with finishes that are pretty PRS-like. And like Kosher I think in price v. quality PRS beats Gibson massively. Dissing PRS by comparing to W doesn't make all that much sense - apples to oranges. You've got to do stuff with your warmoth - have a vision, order all the little bits and pieces, and at least trust that your tech will put it together right. A PRS is assembled and can be tested out in any GC. That's worth a lot of dough to most people, just not to you and I.
BTW, you can also pick up a McCarty or something on Ebay for under $1400 in good shape, and it's easy to spend that on a nice Warmoth VIP. I've often considered it - I do like those Mccarty soapbars.

Lovely instruments but for me every PRS I've played apart from the CE model has been to high in mid range. I don't know if it is the pickups or what but to my ears those guitars usually sound like they are trying to ape a Les Paul for "Honkyness". I would take a decent Les Paul over a PRS any day of the week but thats just my preference and I must agree that PRS quality is definately above that of Gibson. Regardless of my opinion I think every guitarist should applaud the design of the ingenius switching and bridges Smith has developed on his guitars. The trems rule!

Like I say, I only every liked the stratier sounding budget CE models rather than the expensive ones. If I saw a cheap second hand CE I would be tempted. Saw one once but it had been too overplayed for the price and the finish on the back of the neck had worn away.

Prs makes very well nade instruements you cvan get some great deals if you by used. I would never buy a gibson by the way the have no quality control.
Adam

Back