Decent (not BOUTIQUE) floor tuner with bypass?

stubhead

Master Member
I have been rather snobby about my ability to tune by ear for a while, but I'm hooking up a Hipshot Trilogy bridge so as to sli-ide past some hand problems, and I really do need a chromatic floor tuner with a silent bypass mode. But it doesn't need to be the most fanta$tic one, if you know what I mean.

Korg Pitchblack is pretty decent, it is what I use, $90 $60 isn't too salty.

Edit- I guess they came out with an unnecessarily more complex one now and the original is cheaper than I got it for.

For not much money you can get one of these fully chromatic Snarks...

41E0nm3XLnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They're remarkably accurate, have fast response, are self-discriminating so they're ultra-simple to use, and the battery lasts quite a while. Don't have to worry about true-bypass or cords or floorspace or any of that fun stuff. Try one and see how it works out before you spend any more money than that, because you're likely to be quite satisfied.

That Pitchblack looks like the best, so far. This is going to be for a slide guitar at summer festivals, with some really rapid tuning changes with a Hipshot Trilogy bridge. But they're not quite right on pitch. I have a pile of those little handheld tuners, and some in effect boxes, but this is one of those one-specific-need kind of situation. Toby can tell lurid jokes while I tune, but not too many long ones...

I second the Pitchblack. It's affordable, and it's not fussy in a loud environment like some other tuners I've seen *cough* Boss TU-3 *cough*.

Rickgrxbass said:
Korg Pitchblack is pretty decent, it is what I use, $90 $60 isn't too salty.

Edit- I guess they came out with an unnecessarily more complex one now and the original is cheaper than I got it for.

Stub, look for a Fender PT 10
a great floor pedal tuner that has true bypass and cuts the signal while tuning
you can find them used for around 10 to 20 bucks
they are bullet proof strong
images

I've got an older version of the Fender and it's really noisy. Switch broke off too. Maybe the new one is better?  :icon_scratch:

I'll second the PT10.  It's cheap, it both works well with guitar and bass, and is easily seen on stage.  Yes, I've broken the footswitch on one.  After hundreds of gigs worth of abuse.  Luckily I already had another from a trade.  Never cared for other brands of tuners.

-Mark

Back