Dave Murray and the WHA?!?!

MikeW

While perusing the AudioZone DB for a possible purchase I stumbled acorss this pic of one of my favorites. I knew the Adrian had played Jacksons, and currently has a signature model Jackson, but I'd never seen Dave with anything other than his trusty Stratocasters.

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?content%2FGuitar_catalog_scans%2FJackson_Charvel%2F1990-1_Charvette_Charvel_Jackson%2FPage30.jpg

That looks like it might have been an add from some yrs ago. dave is a bit chunkier now...  And Charvel doesn't use that headstock anymore.

But that would be a nice one to have, the maple FB's are rare amongst Charvel's and Jackson's, especially rev headstocks..

The Spectrum was made 89-91. They were a lot like Jeff Beck's mid-80s Jacksons, and I've always liked the pickguards.

Attachments

• ORANGE.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 474
  • beck1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 452
whitebison66 said:
The Spectrum was made 89-91. They were a lot like Jeff Beck's mid-80s Jacksons, and I've always liked the pickguards.
I think it was Jackson's version of EE's Kramer
EE_anderson.jpg

I have not seen Murray with a Spectrum (type) guitar. In the late 80's & 90's he played with Jackson & ESP stratocasters with traditional strat pickguards. Most of them had HSH pickups and FR locking tremolos.

hehe he looks like a very hairy Elvis now!! I enjoy him though! I don't care what everyone says, I went to see him last year and he was awesome!

whitebison66 said:

I've always liked the way the pickguard set the Spectrum apart from other Charvels. Very fusion-y look to it which is what I guess JB liked about them. I'd never seen the Kramer version of that, but I have to say I like the reverse headstock and Rosewood version that Charvel has a bit more.

I've found a 275 Deluxe locally and have been thinking about picking it up. So while I was researching it I was browsing through the '91 catalog and saw that picture of Dave with the Jackson.

DangerousR6 said:
That looks like it might have been an add from some yrs ago. dave is a bit chunkier now...  And Charvel doesn't use that headstock anymore.

Charvel is still using the Fender headstock on the So Cal and San Dimas Strats they're building. I've played a couple of them lately and they're really nice instruments. And yeah, Dave's quite a bit chunkier now.

MikeW said:
While perusing the AudioZone DB for a possible purchase I stumbled acorss this pic of one of my favorites. I knew the Adrian had played Jacksons, and currently has a signature model Jackson, but I'd never seen Dave with anything other than his trusty Stratocasters.

I was with you until last week; saw Maiden in concert in Chicago last week and during several songs Dave was playing a Less Paul. Most of the show he was playing one of three strats but he played the LP on at least a couple of songs. Adrian played his Jacksons, an SG, and maybe something else....... don't remember.

Steve

Here's another famous Strat-playing Dave with an unexpected guitar choice:
momentary_guitars.jpg

That Steinberger GL3T was the main guitar for A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I actually saw Yngwie in Alcatrazz, in 1983 (4?), opening for Ted Nugent. Would have much rather seen them in the Vai era; I really like Disturbing the Peace.

To crawl back towards the OT, I saw Maiden in 83 too.

Crap, I'm old.

Did Dave (Murray) actually ever play the thing?  The Charvel/Jackson affiliation needs no explanation, but all I see a Charvel ad which makes no mention of Murray and Murray holding a Jackson Strat.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Did Dave (Murray) actually ever play the thing?  The Charvel/Jackson affiliation needs no explanation, but all I see a Charvel ad which makes no mention of Murray and Murray holding a Jackson Strat.
Back in the late 70's Grover Jackson bought Charvel. So I'd imagine that there was a lot of cross-promotion from players of each brand, and at one point the headstocks even had "Charvel/Jackson" on them.

That's my point.  Unless I missed something, Dave has nothing to do with this guitar, buy they're using him to sell it.

Well, using, and probably also paying.

This is exactly what tweaked my brain when I saw the picture. I was never aware of Dave endorsing any brand let alone Charvel/Jackson/whoever.

Back