Custom 7-string!

ally666

Finished it a couple of weeks ago, but finally managed to get some good pictures of it with a good camera. I know not many people get the warmoth 7 string bodys/necks, and there's not many pictures of them around either, so here's mine  :headbang: :

l_7fe88914c349689d14c77bf206d9ed93.jpg

l_0b60ef1147f90a00257241058426bfa4.jpg

thanks man! its a burl maple top! came out much better than i thought it would haha! mahogany body, birdseye maple neck and pau ferro fretboard

That's gorgeous, man.  I love pau ferro!  That top is quite something, too.

I just ordered the wood for mine on Wednesday - how long was your wait for the parts? I've got to route for a NON-locking whammy too, Warmoth's "standard" is only for the Floyd Rose 7-string so they're going to rout the back spring cavity only and I've gotta cut the slot and sink the posts. What's your bridge PU, by the way?

ok I must know, how is the string tension with a half inch shorter scale, and, what size string and brand do you use?

kewl man! well, i ordered it at the beginning of june, and they said i wouldn't get it for 12-13 weeks (i was expecting it to come end of september), but it came august instead. you might have to wait the 12-13 weeks though if your getting the floyd rose cut i think. sorry but what does the bridge PU stand for (haha)?

stubhead said:
I just ordered the wood for mine on Wednesday - how long was your wait for the parts? I've got to route for a NON-locking whammy too, Warmoth's "standard" is only for the Floyd Rose 7-string so they're going to rout the back spring cavity only and I've gotta cut the slot and sink the posts. What's your bridge PU, by the way?

well, i can notice a slight difference between my 25.5" strat style guitar I have (not warmoth) but to be honest, the strings feel a lot better. the strings also take a little longer to hold their tuning, but doesn't bother me (i play a lot anyway). I use elixir .9's (9-42), but using a d'adarrio .52 for the bottom B string for the moment (the elixir .52 single string is too dear to buy on its own, might buy in bulk eventually).

WarmothRules said:
ok I must know, how is the string tension with a half inch shorter scale, and, what size string and brand do you use?

I was just wondering, what are you doing for a case? I asked Warmoth, and they were kind of vague - "a bass case ought to fit." How wide is the bottom bout of the guitar? I am getting a paddlehead so I know I'll need extra length, but there are some "universal" Gator & SKB cases where the width seems most important.

stubhead said:
I was just wondering, what are you doing for a case? I asked Warmoth, and they were kind of vague - "a bass case ought to fit." How wide is the bottom bout of the guitar? I am getting a paddlehead so I know I'll need extra length, but there are some "universal" Gator & SKB cases where the width seems most important.

I managed to get a universal guitar case which fit (it says TGI on the side), but I had to cut away inside the case at the left hand side, as the arm of the guitar (if you could call it that) is a little longer than usual. Wasn't too much of a problem, and the case is fantastic! The bottom bit of the guitar seemed to fit all the other cases I tried (Hiscox etc), not sure of the exact width though sorry. Shouldn't cause any problems anyway. My main worry was that the neck would be too wide, but it fits perfectly. Tried to find a link to it on the internet but couldn't, sorry.

Hey ally666,

Please post this 7 string in the Misc Guitar section too! Nice build!

hey yeh its already up there, but with a crappy phone picture instead of the slightly better quality pics here..

DanDeTora said:
How's the neck profile feel?

well, i got the standard thin contours at the back and ofcourse the compound radious fretboard. it feels fantastic, really good for anything (esp. shredding), even though its not the same as my other guitars. It felt weird at first, partly because this is my first 7 string, and had only tried one once before, and all my other guitar necks had bigger neck contours, but now I'm used to it (took me about a week to get used to my hands realising that the neck was wider but thinner round the back) I love it!

brilliant!
that's a lot of great looking wood!

I love it that you left the inlays out!

ally666 said:
DanDeTora said:
How's the neck profile feel?

well, i got the standard thin contours at the back and ofcourse the compound radious fretboard. it feels fantastic, really good for anything (esp. shredding), even though its not the same as my other guitars. It felt weird at first, partly because this is my first 7 string, and had only tried one once before, and all my other guitar necks had bigger neck contours, but now I'm used to it (took me about a week to get used to my hands realising that the neck was wider but thinner round the back) I love it!

Cool, thanks man.

Looks great. I've been wanting to build a Warmoth 7 for awhile now but can't seem to get myself to go ahead with it. I think because the tremolo Warmoth offers has a slightly wider string pitch than my Ibanez and the neck will be slightly thicker, and the fretboard won't be as flat. The 25" actually appeals to me to be honest.

yeh man, i really think the 25" feels better, and tuning isn't a problem (and that's coming from a tuning fanatic). I'm pitch perfect so need my guitar to constantly be in tune (even wen im practising). I use the locking schaller machine heads and they'r great. they only go out of tune here and there, but you'd get tht even with a 25.5" neck so... i didn't choose a tremolo, partly because every1 else uses them and I like to play more with techniques than messing about with a tremolo (all the whammy madness and stuff).

Back