Creating a Truss Rod Adjustment Hole

JTE

I was surprised to see that my new Warmoth Baritone neck is of the Vintage type with the Truss Rod adjustment in the heel.  :doh: Was wondering if any one has, on a Strat body, drilled a hole from the neck pocket through to the bridge pickup cavity to provide access to the truss rod adjustment. That way the adjustment could be done with the neck in place, and strings tune to pitch. All that would have to be off the guitar to adjust the neck would be the pick guard (to allow a screw driver through the the hole between the pickup cavity and the heel pocket to the truss rod adjustment). Would like to know if there would be any problems with doing this.

It isn't unusual to cut a notch in the top center of the neck pickup rout (about 1/4"-1/2" deep and 1/4" wide) on a non vintage strat or tele for just that reason.

probably still have to take the strings and pickguard off if your gonna adjust it that way even with the trench routed out there.

Brian

It isn't unusual to cut a notch in the top center of the neck pickup rout (about 1/4"-1/2" deep and 1/4" wide) on a non vintage strat or tele for just that reason.

Wanted to say thank you for that. I cut the notch with a Rat Tail file. Works perfect.

probably still have to take the strings and pickguard off if your gonna adjust it that way even with the trench routed out there.

Absolutly, I will have to remove the strings to get the pick gard off. However, now I can put the strings back on and adjust the truss rod properly, with tension on the neck. Thank you for your input.

Jeff :guitaristgif:

Hey I'm new to this stuff but if you want to not take off the pick guard stew mac sells the peavy style
Truss rod nut I think this might solve ur  problem

heres the link

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjusting_nuts/Spoke_Wheel_Truss_Rod_Nut.html

Did I mention that this problem or situation is on a Baritone neck. I though of using the wheel adjustment nut, bought it, went to install it and found some thing else. The nut Warmoth uses on the Baritone necks are like 3" long. Which means the threds don't start until about 3" up the neck. Well for one the wheel adj. nut will not reach. And now I know that the truss adjustment starts 3" from the bottom of the neck.

Alright, this is a familiar problem.
On my Blackbird, I found that it was a real b*tch to take the neck off to do adjustments, especially when I had it set absolutely perfectly.
So,
I did then what you suggest now and IT WORKED, with one small adjustment.
Cut down a hexy key into whatever bit you need, and you have the solution. Of course, because my Tele neck p/u was ring-mounted this was a whole lot easier, but everyone who sees this thinks it's still way better than having to take off the neck every time.
Cheers,
Floyd

bpmorton777 said:

Brian

True, but rather than remove strings, adjust, restring, check adjustment, remove strings, readjust, restring, check adjustment, remove strings, etc., etc., it allows string removal once.

I think it's kind of dumb not to offer the Peavey, Music Man type adjustment with a notch cut so you don't have to remove anything - "tradition", sigh. However, when I do have to adjust one of the old-style ones, I don't remove the strings, pickguard and all that. I just loosen the string tension to slack, capo the strings to the neck, pull the neck off and change the truss rod setting. Then I put it back on and retighten the strings. Why would you take them all the way off?

Back