covering blush out

psylabs

Yesterday I pushed my luck and tried spraying a coat of sand and sealer in fairly high humidity...and I paid the price in several spots of blush out after I sprayed.

I've never had a problem with blush out at the sand and sealer stage of a paint job.  Because I still have the full gamut of color coats to apply (this guitar is getting finished in opaque black), I wondered--is it possible for me to cover up these blush out spots by just continuing with my color coats?  Or am I going to regret it if I don't get myself a can of blush out remover?

In case it matters, both the sand and sealer and the color coats are all nitrocellulose lacquer-based paints from reranch rattle cans, being applied to an alder body.

PS I know it's not a big deal to get the blush out remover, and that's almost surely what I will do.  Mostly I'm just curious if it's possible to cover blush out in general.

Since the blushing is moisture trapped under the finish I would recommend you used the blush remover. All it will do is re-wet the the surface and release the trapped moisture but you will be sure to have no worries of future failures. 

You don't cover blush, you rewet the finish to allow the moisture to escape or sand it back and start over. I never shoot when the humidity is over 50%, and certainly not in rainy or wet weather.

Thanks for the advice.  I've ordered a can of blush remover.  I'm sure the guitar will be better for me not doing a janky maneuver and painting over the blush out.

Back