Couple of finishing questions

Davidh

Hey Guys,

I'm about to start painting the body and neck and had some questions:
1. I'll be hanging the neck vertically when paiting, but is it better to put it horizontally when applying the PU to prevent running of the PU?
2. How to apply the PU (spray can) exactly? (I sprayed a test piece of wood which I painted white like my guitar, but it turned a bit yellowish. Does that mean I sprayed it on too thick or that it's reacting?)
3. Should I drill all the screw holes for the jackplate and pickguard and such before finishing or can that also be done afterwards since they are gonna be covered anyway?

Thanks for all your help!

Oh my god !! It's polyurathane  :doh: White is touchy with some of this stuff and it won't matter if it is a thin coat, some just has a natural yellowing affect. I think your best bet is to go with an automotive grade clear. You can get this in spray cans at most UAP or CarQuest shops, but you should still try to keep the coats thin and hanging to spray will work better. As far as drilling holes, I would do this after the finish is complete. Hope I helped some. I think Varathane also has a non yellowing clear too.

Paul.

Thanks for your answer, I'll start looking for another finish.

The poblem is that I'd like a satin finish though and most alternatives for PU are shiny (right?).

I've used the minwax satin spray clear before and it turned out nice without yellowing . The Varathane clear satin would be just as good or you can get the Deft satin clear which isn't supposed to yellow either.

Back