Cool thread on TGP

R

RLW

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=449474

1946 D'Angelico restoration. This guy is seriously old school, no sissyfied blue tape for him!

Wow, that guy is great, I love threads showing repair & build progress.

whoa!  That's some serious work! 

Imagine doing one of those the first time - taking a saw to the back of a guitar that's worth tens of thousands of dollars.  Incredible!

I love that workbench as well  :glasses10:

Thank you for the great thread!!!!!!!!!!  I would love to spend five years of my life just sweeping the dust up in that guys shop. 

Tonar8353 said:
Thank you for the great thread!!!!!!!!!!  I would love to spend five years of my life just sweeping the dust up in that guys shop. 
+1
Whoa, what a thread that was to read.

It was a surprise to me to see that he pulled the original frets up, but I suppose if you are re doing the neck binding, there's no option. Also was a surprise to see very little in the way of bracing or special acoustic baffling inside the D'Angelico when they lifted the top.

I guess I had always thought that instruments like that had some sort of special bracing system that helped the good tones come forth, now I see it is just plain good craftsmanship and good tone woods. :doh:

OzziePete said:
It was a surprise to me to see that he pulled the original frets up, ... Also was a surprise to see very little in the way of bracing or special acoustic baffling inside the D'Angelico when they lifted the top.

I guess I had always thought that instruments like that had some sort of special bracing system that helped the good tones come forth, now I see it is just plain good craftsmanship and good tone woods. :doh:

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I guess with a restoration job like that, the value will go up after restoration, even if frets are pulled. I think. :)

Max said:
I guess with a restoration job like that, the value will go up after restoration, even if frets are pulled. I think. :)

Well, the fact the restoration was done by someone who appears to be a legend in this line of work, I agree that the value of that instrument would rise even more.(He did the restoration of that Chimera Collection teardrop D'Angelico - an instrument that is a very valuable one of a kind).

Now if you or I were to attempt such a resto. job, I'd doubt the value would still be in the pile of wood I know I'd leave behind!  :doh: :tard:

Check the thread out again if you want to see the completed restoration. It looks a couple of years old now. What I would give to spend a year working with that man.

Always nice to see a master in action.  The little tidbits you could pick up along the way are priceless  :icon_thumright:

Back