Cool free factory tour DVD from Carvin

stubhead

Master Member
Carvin is giving away a free DVD with some neat-o stuff - there's the requisite parts where Joe Walsh, Steve Vai, Allan Holdsworth and all tell you how groovy Carvin stuff is, but there's also a Vai performance and a really cool factory tour with all these robotic-monster routers grabbing bits and routing holes at alarming rates of speed. The guys with the sprayguns are scary too, whap out a sunburst in about ten seconds flat. Talk about G.A.S. :help:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/freedvd/

I kind of hate Carvin. I don't know what their stuff is like now, but back in the 80's I felt like everything I got from them kind of sucked. My x-100b half stack was OK, but the dirty channel was so weak compared to the clean channel. It was a disappointment. I also had a 30 watt combo that was pretty weak. Oh yeah and I hate to even think about the reverse star guitar I got from them. Had it for 1 day and one of the string saddles in the Kahler broke off so I had to send it back. Then I get it back and I try playing with my band and the pickups are squealing like crap. The thing was solid maple with ebony fretboard so it was brittle bright. I just hated that guitar. I ended up giving it away because it was such a head ache. Though I guess you get what you pay for and most of that stuff was pretty inexpensive back then.

I have had a Carvin MTS3200 stack for ten years or so and i have always loved it.  I have gotten several compliments from other guitar players that I have jammed with..ones that were using Marshall, Boogie, and Peavey stuff.  Got the DVD a while back, cool to see guitar manufacturing take place.

I can't speak for Carvins from the 1980's, but my Carvin SC90 from about 11 years ago held up great.  Never needs a setup--set it and leave it.  Doesn't go out of tune.  My frets are worn down but that's to be expected after 11 years, right?  Only thing I had done in that time was have the nut filled because the D string eventually sat too low.  Oh, the pickups are muddy but I always replace stock pickups anyway so I don't care much.

Nice thing about Warmoth is you don't pay for stuff like muddy pickups that you end up throwing out.

Back