Converting a 4-string bass to a 5-stringer (ongoing project)

C

Cederick

I have this old Ibanez bass and thinking of converting it into a 5-stringer!

My idea is to get a nut blank for this type of neck and cut slots tighter, and just make way for another tuner.

The problems are:

1. Bridge - are there any bridges with really tight string spacing allowing me to make this conversion without changing neck and routing the neck pocket? I don't wanna go through all that stuff for this. I got this bass for free and wanna try to keep this project as cheap as possible.

2. Pickups - now I COULD rout for 5 string pickups but that would still be incorrect pole spacing ... So, do EMG bass pickups have like, rails inside or something? Or are there any rail bass pickups? That could probably sort out the string spacing issue, but I'm not sure.

My ideal 5 string bass is a J-bass, but I did try out a Schecter (I think) 6 string bass with almost guitar like string spacing: it was weird, but cool!

So, any ideas or suggestions?  :)

Old grey/blue metallic finish:
2dvo01.jpg

New white finish!
sc9zmd.jpg

If you really want to add a low B string to a 4-string bass, I am afraid the spacing will be quite impractical, unless your current bass has a rather wide neck. Check the nut width and see if it's not too far from the dimensions of a narrow 5.

For the bridge, you could use a monorail bridge. You'll have control over string spacing, and if the project does not work, you'll be able to re-use them on another 5-string build.

Many bass pickups use rail designs, but if I were you I wouldn't but any pickup before being sure that everything fits with 5 strings and that it is actually playable.

Damn. A week ago, I'd have sold you a 5 string J-Bass for next to nothing. I just gave it to a buddy of mine because I never played it.

But, pay attention to the Rondo site. I don't see any 5 strings on there now, but they're notoriously inconsistent about stock. Sorta like a flea market. Stay on top of them, and eventually you'll get what you want for not much money - he doesn't mark them up much. I think I only paid about $150 for mine, and it was a nice piece. I'd have put it up next to a Fender any day. Plus, it beats the hell out of trying to distort a 4 string to suit your needs.

Cagey said:
Damn. A week ago, I'd have sold you a 5 string J-Bass for next to nothing. I just gave it to a buddy of mine because I never played it.

But, pay attention to the Rondo site. I don't see any 5 strings on there now, but they're notoriously inconsistent about stock. Sorta like a flea market. Stay on top of them, and eventually you'll get what you want for not much money - he doesn't mark them up much. I think I only paid about $150 for mine, and it was a nice piece. I'd have put it up next to a Fender any day. Plus, it beats the hell out of trying to distort a 4 string to suit your needs.
Hmmm, maybe. But I'm really picky about what I want... If it's not alpine white with all black hardware, I don't want it... Which is kinda why I had to refinish the bass in OP  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

croquet hoop said:
If you really want to add a low B string to a 4-string bass, I am afraid the spacing will be quite impractical, unless your current bass has a rather wide neck. Check the nut width and see if it's not too far from the dimensions of a narrow 5.

For the bridge, you could use a monorail bridge. You'll have control over string spacing, and if the project does not work, you'll be able to re-use them on another 5-string build.

Many bass pickups use rail designs, but if I were you I wouldn't but any pickup before being sure that everything fits with 5 strings and that it is actually playable.

The ibanez neck is quite wide at the nut, compared to a regular Fender jazz bass neck which is really narrow.
Hmmm, I don't like the looks of monorails really... Hmm...

I'm sure Steinberger has some kind of bridge that allows conversion from 4 to 5-string, with narrow string spacing (not a problem for me at all, I even prefer narrow string spacing for bass, being a guitarist in first place, and always playing bass with a pick) but that bridge is too expensive to be worth it for this project

I'm convinced that about 80% of 5 stringers just want the low B (or more precisely, D plus a few free notes).  If you are one of the 15% that want more notes in any position, or the 5% who want the high-C this won't help you but....

I think most of that 70% group would be just as happy if they bought a 5 string set, strung their 4 string to C# and find some other use for the G string like hanging pictures on the wall. It's certainly something I would recommend experimenting with before plunking down cash or drilling holes in your headstock. I ended up tuning my 5 string up to C# just because I wasn't really happy with the B anyway.

What kind of Ibanez bass? Some of them have covered pole pieces, so you can use them on a 5 string without it looking ridiculous.

As far as pole piece spacing goes, you only need to make sure that your strings stay within the sensing area.  People use 4 string pickups on 5 string basses all the time.

swarfrat said:
I'm convinced that about 80% of 5 stringers just want the low B (or more precisely, D plus a few free notes).  If you are one of the 15% that want more notes in any position, or the 5% who want the high-C this won't help you but....

I think most of that 70% group would be just as happy if they bought a 5 string set, strung their 4 string to C# and find some other use for the G string like hanging pictures on the wall. It's certainly something I would recommend experimenting with before plunking down cash or drilling holes in your headstock. I ended up tuning my 5 string up to C# just because I wasn't really happy with the B anyway.

I did this on my fender mex 4 j bass and couldn't be happier. Would be worried about string spacing and  playability.

Hmmm, yeah I mean this bass aint bad at all, so maybe I'll just keep it as a 4-stringer and get a lower set of strings...
Maybe too much effort for something that doesn't get a lot better really!

My ideal 5-stringer is still a j-bass so I could probably just get the 5-stringer when time comes  :icon_biggrin:

A friend of mine owns a warwick streamer lx 5 with real small stringspacing. At the bridge it has 16,5 mm (0,65"). I cant find the specs for the nut side but it feels like a four string with 5 strings.

I own a yamaha trb5 II with 22mm stringspacing at the bridge (0,86") wich is the biggestI have ever seen.

However, I guess you can use the same kind of bridge and pus that warwick is using.

swarfrat said:
I'm convinced that about 80% of 5 stringers just want the low B (or more precisely, D plus a few free notes).  If you are one of the 15% that want more notes in any position...
:hello2:
Yeah that was me, I really like being able to play in F in 6th position vs. 1st, (or B-flat and being able to reach down and grab the F).  I have large enough hands for 1st position but it does definitely fatigue you after a while.

A Kahler 7450 bridge will work nicely -- spacing can go as tight as 14 mm. You can install it without routing, but you'll need to shim the neck about 3/32" to 1/8". They can be purchased at wammiworld.com.

That looks tempting, but now I'm more interested in a bass tremolo actually hahaha

I was looking on Youtube after a video of the Hipshot bridge... And this is effing unbelievable...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJFr9KKO8A0

Back