CNC milled factory installed compensated nut

I build guitars by hand, but am ignorant on this idea. Can someone explain to me the advantage of an expensive, fixed, compensated nut over the versatility of an adjustable bridge, wich can be intonated for many diferent styles, guages, and materials of strings, :binkybaby: other than the "trick looking" factor? Does it realy make a diference if it is compensated at the nut or sadle? Like I said, I am truely ignorant, but not ashamed.

Yes it does make a very noticible difference. It's not some kind of gimmick. Intonation is still adjusted at the bridge. With a standard guitar you're really only in tune on open strings and the 12 fret. By adjusting intonation from both the bridge and the nut the guitar is more in tune over the entire fretboard.

Wow, funky nut looks ideal, except for the whole ship your guitar to the UK and back part.

If Warmoth could CNC something similar, it would be a really sweet offering IMO. I would pay for that.

Can someone enlighten me what is the difference between "fender style" and "gibson style" nuts and can this (link) be installed on a warmoth neck without modification?

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Gibson_Style-Earvana_Gibson_Style_Drop_in_Shelf_Nut_1_11_16.html

A typical Fender nut slides into a slot cut into the end of the fret board. A typical Gibson nut does not fit in a slot but instead is attached to the end of the fretboard and to the peg head. If you have a Fender type Warmoth neck then that Gibson type Earvana nut won't fit your neck.

Makes sense, how about on the Warmoth style neck

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=warmoth_warmothpro

As far as I can see, the nut goes on the end of the fretboard rather than in a slot..?

Thanks!

I think all tilt-back necks take Gibson-style nuts.  Though maybe the tilt-back strat is different...  :dontknow:

Another major difference between the fender and gibson style nuts is the scale length that they are compensated for. (this may be obvious to some reading this) The nuts are not interchangeable.

Back