Cleanest neck single ever???

Here's my question:

Warmoth is already building me a Tele, routed for a bridge humbucker and a neck single. However, I won't be using any neck pickup for the moment (the ickguard will cover the cavity). In the future, though, I'd like to stick a single in there, basically to play and record clean gutiar parts.

I'm not really an expert on single coils, so i'm asking you guys and girls here for a reccomendation. It does'nt have to match in output or tone the bridge bucker (a Duncan Custom or JB), becasue I won't be mxing the clean and distorted parts live. My goal is to have a guitar that, besides being a rock machine, can also record beautiful clean parts. The cleanest ever, while I'm on it.

What would you reccomend?

EDIT: Forgot to add, it's a swamp ash body, maple neck, rosewood board

Well, what kind of clean tone are you going for? Bright, jangly, warm, full, dark, jazzy, etc.? Just too many different choices...
One of my favorite clean single coil neck pickup tones is what I get from my HB-sized CharlieChristian-style blade-pickup from www.vintagevibeguitars.com - very full, warm, round, yet tranparent, very "big" and 3D-sounding - but that won't fit into your SC-routed Tele...
Seymour Duncan has a lot of different Tele neck pickups, too, I particularly like their Alnico II model for a warme, slightly jazzy tone.

RomanS said:
Well, what kind of clean tone are you going for? Bright, jangly, warm, full, dark, jazzy, etc.? Just too many different choices...

Good queestion, actually. As a driven humbucker player, I've never looked too much into the clean single coil territiry.
But, generally speaking, I'd like a pickup more on the bright side (no the typical dark jazz tone) but modern, full, not twangy.

Any reccomendations?

Sounds like a job for a slightly fatter Strat-type single coil... There are tons of choices available for those from various makers - frankly, I'm not a Strat player myself, so I'd better leave the recommednations to somebody else!

Back