Chickenfoot!

"GayCar"  an "incredible" Talent? Hurrrumph..  :laughing3:
Let me put it this way, hes  a bona fide rock legend, and always could do very well on guitar and vocals, but he was NEVER top tier..or waht one would call "incrdible". In buisness he IS incredible, becasue he sold his stupid Tequillaa company for almost a hundred million, which means an already rich cat walked away with about 40 million dollars extra  after taxes..but as far as Rock, hes  a "great " vocalist I could agree, and legend in his own right, but "incredible"? ..Doubt it.

taez555 said:
Van Halen vs Van Hagar is a pointless battle to fight.     Different times, much different music, it's a shame that both have to go under the Van Halen name.   I personally think Sammy is a much more talented and gifted singer, however prefer the music created by Van Halen during the DLR years.  Eddie was a different guitarist in 1978 vs 1988.

Gotta say though, I think F.U.C.K. is a pretty strong album from Sammy.  Although, VH1 & VH2 are the only CD's that will never leave my car  (that and DLR's first two solo albums with Vai, but that's another discussion) :)

As for Chickenfoot.  I'm diggin' the album.  Think it shoulda been called Haggar/Satriani, since Michael Anthony and Chad Smith barely make a dent, but that being said.  It's nice solid rock and roll.  Satriani doesn't overplay at all, and Sammy keeps it cabo wabo'ing.  Got some catchy stuff, nothing amazing, but a good solid rock and roll album.

Ahhh! Eat em and smile and Skyscraper are both high in my top 10!

taez555 said:
Van Halen vs Van Hagar is a pointless battle to fight.     Different times, much different music, it's a shame that both have to go under the Van Halen name.   I personally think Sammy is a much more talented and gifted singer, however prefer the music created by Van Halen during the DLR years.  Eddie was a different guitarist in 1978 vs 1988.

Gotta say though, I think F.U.C.K. is a pretty strong album from Sammy.  Although, VH1 & VH2 are the only CD's that will never leave my car  (that and DLR's first two solo albums with Vai, but that's another discussion) :)

As for Chickenfoot.  I'm diggin' the album.  Think it shoulda been called Haggar/Satriani, since Michael Anthony and Chad Smith barely make a dent, but that being said.  It's nice solid rock and roll.  Satriani doesn't overplay at all, and Sammy keeps it cabo wabo'ing.  Got some catchy stuff, nothing amazing, but a good solid rock and roll album.
Amen..... :icon_thumright: One of the best songs ever from Sammy era was from the soundtrack of Twister call "Humans Being"...that song just f..king rocks...

Also to all of the Hagar haters....eat this....

"With Hagar at the front, Van Halen produced four multi-platinum, #1 Billboard charting albums: 5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Balance, as well as many chart hits, including nine #1  Rock hits. "

You won't find numbers like that from the Roth era...

Just pulled out my copy of Sammy's 1983 show in St. Louis. That's my favorite Sammy time (well, that and Montrose). He was OK with VH, the Dave era was much more raw. That being said, I like the Chickenfoot stuff, especially a couple of the songs. Agree that it's nothing ground-breaking, but still good quality none the less...

DangerousR6 said:
Also to all of the Hagar haters....eat this....

"With Hagar at the front, Van Halen produced four multi-platinum, #1 Billboard charting albums: 5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Balance, as well as many chart hits, including nine #1  Rock hits. "

I never said I hated Hagar.  I still liked the music.  I just prefer the roth stuff.  It may be more the keyboards and Hagar days and eddies pounding guitar in the roth days that made the difference for me.

You do have a point that they made more hits with Hagar.  Some of my favs from the hagar days are the VH takes on non-halen stuff...I cant drive 55, one way to rock, and rock and roll.

I guess a similar arguement can be made about Metallica.  I like the older stuff, pre-black album...but they have many more hits post-black album.  I am loving the Death Magnetic stuff....sorry....I tend to ramble.

DangerousR6 said:

britney spears has had 5 #1 chartign albums and sold over 85 millions albums world wide

high sales =/= good music

btw i have no opinion on teh whoel DLR vs Hagar thing just don't liek it when peopel talk album numbers liek they mean anything...

I always get a kick out of people arguing about different musical groups or artists being "better" than others.  It's kinda fun to sit back and watch them trade facts supporting their side of the issue, when really the thing everybody forgets is this:

Everyone has different musical tastes.  EVERYONE.

David Lee Roth is not necessarily "better" than Sammy Hagar, any more than Chickenfoot is "better" or "worse" than Van Halen.

Some people will like it, some people won't, and life goes on.

In the words of Devin Townsend:  "...and music?  Well it's just entertainment, folks!"

DangerousR6 said:
"With Hagar at the front, Van Halen produced four multi-platinum, #1 Billboard charting albums: 5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Balance, as well as many chart hits, including nine #1  Rock hits. "

Interestingly, although those 4 albums charted highly at the time they were released, only VH1 & 1984 have sold more than 10 million copies.

Xplorervoodoo said:
I always get a kick out of people arguing about different musical groups or artists being "better" than others.  It's kinda fun to sit back and watch them trade facts supporting their side of the issue, when really the thing everybody forgets is this:

Everyone has different musical tastes.  EVERYONE.

David Lee Roth is not necessarily "better" than Sammy Hagar, any more than Chickenfoot is "better" or "worse" than Van Halen.

Some people will like it, some people won't, and life goes on.

In the words of Devin Townsend:  "...and music?  Well it's just entertainment, folks!"
True... :icon_thumright:

Michael Jackson sold more records than both versions of the group. Do I have to like him too? :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
Michael Jackson sold more records than both versions of the group. Do I have to like him too? :laughing7:
I don't particularly like Elton John, but I have enough respect to recognize his abilities as a musician song writer and singer...

And I would suspect that most any other musician, especially guitarist would give Sammy the same respect he's due. Sure the songs VH did during the Roth era ma have been a bit more raunchy and raw. But it wasn't due to Roth's musical wizardry, it was Eddie and Alex. Roth brought simply nothing more to the table than someone to vocalize their songs. :icon_biggrin:

I know I like Dave...but this is awesome...esp the dualing guitars....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCCWXAp49So[/youtube]

dmraco said:
I know I like Dave...but this is awesome...esp the dualing guitars....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCCWXAp49So[/youtube]
Exactly what I'm talking about, you never saw DLR bring anything like that to the table...

Wow so what Dave can do a flying kick over his head, well so do ballerina's....But he can't jam like that.... :icon_thumright:

I just bought the album. Preet darn good, apart from a few songs that sounded almost generic at times. Other than that, it's good when it's played LOUD.

Wana's made a guitar said:
I just bought the album. Preet darn good, apart from a few songs that sounded almost generic at times. Other than that, it's good when it's played LOUD.
Was there ever any doubt....  :dontknow:

Back