Chickenfoot!

GoDrex said:
I'll listen when I get home, but I hate Sammy as a singer so my expectations aren't high.
Oh no you didn't.... Sammy is a great singer, but you're probably one of those "VH was so much better when DRL was in the band, and Sammy sucks and blah blah blah...."

Not only is Sammy a great singer, but he's a hellava guitar player too. He didn't get where he is by being mediocre.. And further more, the dude is almost 64 f..ing yrs old, and can still perform his ass off.

GoDrex said:
DangerousR6 said:
"VH was so much better when DRL was in the band, and Sammy sucks."

exactly
Whatever dude, Sammy blows DLR away as a singer. And even Eddie himself said the only reason Roth was ever in the band was because he had a PA system. An that Roth wasn't that good of a singer....

Max said:
Ya know... I like the Roth era songs. I'm not going to argue about who's the better singer.
I like the Roth era songs to, they had some bad ass tunes. But Roth is no match vocally to Sammy...

I don't care who the best vocalist is. They were dangerous with Roth and they became lame with Hagar. The fire and excitement was gone, never to return.

In rock music, the only thing I dislike more that Sammy Hagar is Kiss.  :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
I don't care who the best vocalist is. They were dangerous with Roth and they became lame with Hagar. The fire and excitement was gone, never to return.

In rock music, the only thing I dislike more that Sammy Hagar is Kiss.  :laughing7:
blahblah.gif

I have tried to stay out of this...but cannot/ :doh:

The Chickenfoot is growing on me.  It helps that I am a huge Satch fan.

concerning the VH thing...I have to admit that Sammy is a GOOD singer and has a much better vocal range than Roth....HOWEVER>>>

Roth is the ultimate front man (is he is sober enough to remember the words).  The VH stuff with Roth just ROCKS.... :guitarplayer2: :headbang1: :rock-on:.

The stuff with Sammy was good...but is not the stuff that makes history.

Remember history has many great singers that were not good vocalists...Cobain, Petty, Van Morrison....ALL GREAT MUSICIANS but will not be winning an American Idol contest anytime soon  (sorry for the lame AI ref. :toothy11:)

Also...this is just my opinion.  that alone with $5.00 will get you a STARBUCKS coffee.

Across the pond, VH isn't as huge as over there. We have less emotion regarding DLR. Hagar is annoying, I don't know why. His singing is not my 'cup 'o tea', and the rest of the music of chickenfoot is just plain ol' pretentious. Just a showcase of the capabilities of each of the instrumentalists...boring.

dmraco said:

concerning the VH thing...I have to admit that Sammy is a GOOD singer and has a much better vocal range than Roth....HOWEVER>>>

Roth is the ultimate front man (is he is sober enough to remember the words).  The VH stuff with Roth just ROCKS.... :guitarplayer2: :headbang1: :rock-on:.

Remember history has many great singers that were not good vocalists...Cobain, Petty, Van Morrison....ALL GREAT MUSICIANS but will not be winning an American Idol contest anytime soon  (sorry for the lame AI ref. :toothy11:)

Also...this is just my opinion.  that alone with $5.00 will get you a STARBUCKS coffee.

I agreed with just about everything you wrote here!!! :)

Orpheo said:
Across the pond, VH isn't as huge as over there. We have less emotion regarding DLR.

you would think that the dutch would be more proud of the van Halen brothers... but no..
there are only a handful songs that may be played on the radio every now and then.. incl. jump, running with the devil and why can't this be love.

as opposed to here, where almost all of their 'classic' work is on rotation with most classic rock stations.

Markoooooo said:
dmraco said:

I agreed with just about everything you wrote here!!! :)

great minds think alike...we make great looking guitars too! :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7: :toothy10: :hello2: :laughing8:

My thoughts:

DLR = Van Halen.  He was the lead singer when they started; therefore by default he's "in there".  He is/was
such a character and made such an impact (showman) that you replace him, you replace the band's identity.
Perfect fit for Eddie's haphazard guitar solos and squeeks; the 2 main things this band brought were energy and the fact
you never knew what to expect next.  They were like an unstable science experiment about to explode.

Sammy = Did his own thing which was good but nowhere good as DLR-era VH.  Filled in nicely when DLR left.
Lacked the explosiveness that DLR brought, and therefore the band as a whole was more "safe" during Sammy's era.

Satch = Technically great player with an actual (gasp!) pinch of feel, but that boy's gotta get a better tone along with his "student", Vai.  The super-compressed over-saturated tone just kills the dynamics.  Sure, you need plenty of t00b saturation to be able to play legato lines as such, but c'mon.

Michael Anthony = got screwed by Eddie and his "guardian" brother.

only Van Hagar tune I can take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzq17F-b9AU

mainly because the guitar parts are killer... if I could remove the vocals I'd love it :laughing7:

Van Halen vs Van Hagar is a pointless battle to fight.    Different times, much different music, it's a shame that both have to go under the Van Halen name.  I personally think Sammy is a much more talented and gifted singer, however prefer the music created by Van Halen during the DLR years.  Eddie was a different guitarist in 1978 vs 1988.

Gotta say though, I think F.U.C.K. is a pretty strong album from Sammy.  Although, VH1 & VH2 are the only CD's that will never leave my car  (that and DLR's first two solo albums with Vai, but that's another discussion) :)

As for Chickenfoot.  I'm diggin' the album.  Think it shoulda been called Haggar/Satriani, since Michael Anthony and Chad Smith barely make a dent, but that being said.  It's nice solid rock and roll.  Satriani doesn't overplay at all, and Sammy keeps it cabo wabo'ing.  Got some catchy stuff, nothing amazing, but a good solid rock and roll album.

I agree with Taez, dif times dif music.  Those of you who don't like sammy Haggar, I don't get it, he's an incredible talent, and vocals are great.

I am a big DLR fan and love all the VH music with David,  But Sammy was so good with Eddie, his Vocals were so good against Eddies guitar,  So if you like one over the other , no problemo, but anyone saying sammy sucked with VanHalen is smokin something. He sang for montrose for cryin out loud and that's as rock and roll as (70's) rock as it gets.

Back