Cheap Guitars 2: Anyone ever build a kit?

clearerphish

My band has finished the long and arduous process of selecting the next cover song to be incorporated into our set. My suggestion won out and we'll be covering Rush's Natural Science. The chorded portion at the beginning seems like the perfect opportunity to incorporate a 12 string into our set. Well I don't have one, and all of us here at UW know how to remedy that, right?

Yeah, no. Not trying to build another W right now but I saw this on Ebay and I'm certain I can capably build this if it's a real guitar. I.E. will the neck not be a pretzel...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solo-DIY-Double-Neck-SG-Style-Guitar-Kit-DSGK-10-BUILD-YOUR-OWN-DOUBLE-NECK-/370587511549?pt=Guitar&hash=item5648bcaafd

DSGK-10_Medium.jpg

I figure I can spray a nice quick finish on it with Acrylic Lacquer and be in business...

...unless it won't play or adjust worth a snot. Anyone ever build one?

I'm thinking about a nice solid orange possibly candy tangerine-ish.

I don't know, but for $250, so what if the neck pretzels on you in 6 months or a year? Get past your gig, and it may not be an issue. You may be building a Warmoth double-neck next. Or, if the neck pockets aren't too bizarre, you may be able to cobble something good on there without building an entirely new instrument.

Well for a university module i bought a £100 ($160) jazz bass kit.
When i got it assembled with  a very botched headstock and no paint or finish as of yet, it played nicely.
When i get my hands on it during easter if i order the finish and such then and have the time i will be finishing it off.
I would say check all of the electric wires for any breaks, as the bridge pickup is very quiet on mine due to seeing just as i was screwing the control plate on that one of the wires was nearly in half  :sad1:

That being said when i can afford it is getting some seymour duncan pups,
As far as the neck goes i think mine will still be fine when i get home, but it has been in a house that doesnt fluctuate temperature wise etc.
But mine was a saga kit, and i measured the neck pocket and believe it is a bit smaller or about push in fit for a warmoth neck
So thats another upgrade i might do  :laughing7:

Hope this kind of helps haha.

Cagey said:
I don't know, but for $250, so what if the neck pretzels on you in 6 months or a year? Get past your gig, and it may not be an issue. You may be building a Warmoth double-neck next. Or, if the neck pockets aren't too bizarre, you may be able to cobble something good on there without building an entirely new instrument.

Oh, it's not the price. I just don't want to spend $250 and my time/effort on finishing if it's an unplayable POS. If it's adjustable and can be just as good a guitar as a "jay turser" for example it could be a great guitar with an electrics/hardware swap. I'm not trying to build a #1 or anything, just something for the stage.

This the cool thing about this group. We have the ability to say " what the hell" and just dive into a project without guaranteed success.

Dive into the unknown! Sounds like a great idea. If the body sux, make a new one, if the necks suck buy warmoths to replace.  Upgrade hardware ifins the project works!

if I get too poor for Warmoth, I will just buy these for 90 bucks

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Super-LIghtweight-Strat-Style-Kit-Rosewood-OR-Maple-Fingerboard_p_1203.html

Guilty. Got this on ebay last year for about 150. Mahogany body and neck rosewood fingerboard. It is Playable and Ive had no troubles really- just dont plan on using the tuning keys, tom bridge, pickups, toggle switch,or input jack. The neck is straight and the structure is solid, but the hardware and electrics are crap. Also the neck pocket in this one is strangely shaped so Im pretty sure I cant replace it. Not sure what brand it is-there were no markings anywhere, I took a gamble buying it, but I dont regret it.

Attachments

• DSCN1163.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN1165.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 510
found a cheap white doubleneck on ebay for 338 fully assembled with hard case. that kit and a hard case would have been more than that. Sorry, looks like that's the winner here.

Back