Cedro?

Torment Leaves Scars

I just bought a brand new Jackson Warrior (JS32) on the 22nd of April, and was at a music store yesterday, and happened upon a Jackson brochure.  I took it with me, and it focused on the JS32 models, which I just purchased. 

I found a list of the specs and I read the body was a wood called Cedro.  Personally, I've never heard of it, and really didn't find much info when Google-Searching it. 

So, anyone out there who knows about Cedro, what exactly is it, and is it a good wood?  The reason I ask if it's good, is because when I have my Warmoth unplugged (maple body/neck) and play it back to back with the Jackson (cedro body/maple neck/rosewood fretboard), the Jackson just seems to resonate a lot louder than what the Warmoth does.  What's up with that?  I guess I'm a bit surprised.

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to the two of them, this $400 Jackson doesn't come close, but I'm just askin'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrela_odorata

Like mahogany or rosewood, it's a name used to describe a group of species with very similar qualities. In this case, including spanish cedar.

Spanish cedar is relatively commonly used for guitars. It bears a passing resemblance to mahogany, but is lighter and likely more resonant.

Gauthier (goats-yay) said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrela_odorata

Like mahogany or rosewood, it's a name used to describe a group of species with very similar qualities. In this case, including spanish cedar.

Spanish cedar is relatively commonly used for guitars. It bears a passing resemblance to mahogany, but is lighter and likely more resonant.

So is it good or bad?  :dontknow:

:)

I don't think it's good or bad per se. It just is. I'm pretty sure Jackson uses it on their lower-end models because it's cheaper. I've got a Dinky made of cedro, and it just seems way heavy and hard as a rock.

EDIT: I just noticed the comment that it should be lighter than mahogany, which seems to go against my experience. Odd. Who knows what that Jackson is made of...

E.G. Jones said:
I don't think it's good or bad per se. It just is. I'm pretty sure Jackson uses it on their lower-end models because it's cheaper. I've got a Dinky made of cedro, and it just seems way heavy and hard as a rock.

EDIT: I just noticed the comment that it should be lighter than mahogany, which seems to go against my experience. Odd. Who knows what that Jackson is made of...

Yes, the "JS" series is Jackson's entry level line (Made in India).  From what I understand, this wood is also referred to as "Indian Cedar."  :dontknow:  I'm pretty sure, the model line above the JS series may use basswood for their bodies, but I'm not sure. 

I've read on a few sources that Cedro is supposedly light and soft, and just about a cut above plywood.  Whether this rings true is anyone's guess, but I think it resonates pretty decently; It really rings out. 

I also get the impression it's a pretty solid wood.  While it isn't a lead weight like a LP, it definitely has some meat to it.  Whatever the case, I like a wood that's very vibrant, so if that's what it is, then that's not a bad thing, IMO.  It'll provide great sustain.

It does ring. That Jackson is probably my loudest guitar acoustically. And it is solid--it's been knocked around quite a few times, and while the finish is chipped in a few places, the wood itself is blemish-free.

Jackson's entry-level models (the JS series) are surprisingly good. With some new tuners (the stock ones are crap and keep coming loose), my JS20 would be a pretty decent guitar. The only things I don't like about it are things that I thought I liked when I got it--it was my first electric--namely the super-thin Jackson neck.

E.G. Jones said:
It does ring. That Jackson is probably my loudest guitar acoustically. And it is solid--it's been knocked around quite a few times, and while the finish is chipped in a few places, the wood itself is blemish-free.

Jackson's entry-level models (the JS series) are surprisingly good. With some new tuners (the stock ones are crap and keep coming loose), my JS20 would be a pretty decent guitar. The only things I don't like about it are things that I thought I liked when I got it--it was my first electric--namely the super-thin Jackson neck.

Mine feels very solid, and very well-made.  The fretboard is wide, which I like, and the neck is thicker than that of my Warmoth's "Wizard" neck.  Oddly enough, I figured that a thin neck would do my short, pudgy fingers more good than a beefier and wide neck, but what I'm finding with this Jackson is that chords are easier to finger because of the wideness of the neck.  While the Warmoth certainly has a better neck for shredding, especially due to how narrow the fretboard is, there are a lot of things I like about this Jackson that I wish I had chosen with the Warmoth.  Whatever the case, I can always order another neck for the Warmoth if it becomes that big of a deal to me.  :eek:ccasion14:

While speaking of ordering necks, what happens if I order a wider neck?  Will it cause problems with fitment into the neck pocket?

Before I venture too far off the subject, as I was saying, the Jackson feels really solidly built.  It stays in tune, is nicely balanced, the high-output pickups sound really good, and I love the jumbo frets.  If I had to pick two things about the Jackson that I didn't like, they would be the tremolo, which slightly floats, but there seems to be a "block" in the body, which stops it from doing much, and that when I start climbing the neck on lower strings to solo, really high notes seem to be a little bit "dead," however, it could just be my playing, because the frets are closer-spaced on the Jackson (24 fret vs. 22 fret on my Warmoth).

All the hardware seems to work well.  The tuners seem to work alright, the controls don't bind, and they're not wobbly, and it just simply feels like a good guitar.  I'd recommend this guitar to a friend in a second.  :party07:

Cedro The Entertainer?

cedric-the-entertainer.jpg

Back